LINC 5-7 Classroom Activities was developed for Language Instruction for Newcomers to Canada (LINC) levels 5-7 instructors in Ontario. It offers a collection of reproducible classroom activities based on the communication situations and themes presented in the LINC 5-7 Curriculum Guidelines.
The Guidelines contain suggestions for contextualizing Canadian Language Benchmarks (CLB) competencies in situations and topics that are especially relevant to newcomers to Canada. LINC 5-7 Classroom Activities were developed based on a selection of those suggestions. In addition, the activities:
- are CLB-based and referenced to LINC levels
- are relevant to the needs of Ontario newcomers at LINC levels 5-7 (CLB 5-8)
- provide language instruction that facilitates newcomers’ social, cultural and economic integration into Canada
- integrate learner performance assessment
- represent a range of media and text types commonly found in Canadian contexts
- integrate the Essential Skills
LINC 5-7 Classroom Activities are not intended to prescribe lesson content for particular LINC levels, but to be one of many potential resources that instructors can draw on to plan and deliver lessons. You can select, adapt and supplement them with content drawn from other sources to form a syllabus tailored to the language needs and interests of your learners.
In addition to the reproducible activities (in two volumes), a User Guide (included in each volume) was developed to outline the approach taken in the development of the LINC 5-7 Classroom Activities and to provide suggestions and tools to help you integrate the activities into your program planning and delivery. This User Guide was developed to help you incorporate the LINC 5-7 Classroom Activities into your program planning and delivery. It provides suggestions for selecting, adapting and integrating the activities into lessons using the LINC 5-7 Curriculum Guidelines and learner needs as planning tools.
- LINC 5-7 Classroom Activities Volume 1 (PDF)
- User Guide
- Chapter 1 - Academic Skills
- Chapter 2 - Business Writing
- Chapter 3 - Interacting With Others
- Chapter 4 - Looking for a Job
- LINC 5-7 Classroom Activities Volume 2 (PDF)
- User Guide
- Chapter 5 - Managing Information
- Chapter 6 - Meetings
- Chapter 7 - Telephone Calls
Each volume also includes audio files. See below.
- You can download an entire chapter. There are seven chapters in total. Each chapter title below is a link to a .ZIP file of all the chapter files. All chapter files are in MP3 format.
- You can download an individual MP3 file. Each audio file in each chapter is listed below. Each individual file is in MP3 format.You can download individual MP3 files.
The Toronto Catholic District School Board grants you permission to download these audio files for non-commercial use only.You may not edit, alter, republish, post, transmit, make available to the public, sell or otherwise commercialise these audio files in any way. All title, ownership rights and intellectual property rights of these audio files shall remain the property of the Toronto Catholic District School Board or third parties.
These online activities are based on selected chapters and activities in the LINC 5-7 Classroom Activities, Volume 1 and 2. The e-resources are designed to be used in a blended learning context, where learners and instructors meet face-to-face and utilize a combination of both the print and online resources. Please note that the linguistic complexity of the two resource types (print and e-activities) is not always congruent. The online versions of some of the activities are generally more accessible to learners at a lower benchmark level than the print versions.