JobStart is a community driven non-profit agency that has been serving communities in the Greater Toronto Region since 1980. We provide a range of services to adults, foreign trained professionals, newcomers to Canada, persons with disabilities, seniors, students, women, and youth to assist them towards successful workforce integration. JobStart also provides employers with recruitment services, access to talent pools through job fairs or networking events, and the opportunity to post on our job board at no cost. JobStart operates its employment services across three locations in Toronto. At present, most clients are being served virtually with on-site services by appointment only.
The Project: Employer Engagement for Immigrant Integration (EEII)
The Employer Engagement for Immigrant Integration (EEII) Project, funded by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship, Canada (IRCC) and implemented by JobStart, aims to engage small-sized to large employers with information, training and the sharing of promising practices on hiring and retaining newcomer talent. The Project will focus on educating employers on the value of hiring newcomer assets, train them on best practices to successfully integrate newcomer professionals into their workplace, and work with employers on retaining this workforce for the long term. Both in-person and online training modules are being developed. Through this project, we aim to bridge the gaps in on-boarding and the retention of immigrant professionals.
This project builds employer understanding of the benefits of hiring immigrant professionals and connects newcomers with these employers for the advantage of the employer, the newcomer and the Canadian economy. The project presently is in its inception stage.
Objective of the Call for Expression of Interest:
One of the key goals of the EEII project is to engage small to large employers. As newcomers to Canada come from different sectoral background and with diverse experience, the project aims to develop knowledge on organizations/ employers across sector, their hiring practices and existing integration practices to better serve newcomer clients.
JobStart is looking to engage 2 sectoral experts with extensive experience and industry connections in two sectors as below:
- Finance and business management
The expectation is that at the end of the term, each sector expert will:
- Gather insights through one-on-one meetings or consultation(s) on existing hiring practices and employer attitudes towards newcomer talent
- Develop a strategic roadmap for the next two years with focus on hiring and retaining newcomer talent with a sector focus
- Help initiate meaningful employer / industry connections with JobStart project team with at least 8 small, 8 medium and 5 large employers in the specific sector
Terms of Engagement:
The sector experts shall work independently and will coordinate with the JobStart EEII project team when required for the fulfillment of the objectives outlined in the previous section. The expert shall not represent the interest of any individual company but can represent trade organizations/ chamber of commerce/ any other associations. Affiliation to any relevant sectoral association would be an advantage.
The experts will commit to maintain confidentiality of the content of draft documents and of discussions in teleconferences and meetings held in the context of the project. Documents/ report delivered as part of this engagement shall remain the property of JobStart.
Requested level of engagement:
The experts shall be engaged up to a duration of 30 hours at a fixed pay rate of $125 per hour + applicable HST. The expected timeline for this engagement is between 15th December to 15th February 2020. The expert has the flexibility to distribute the hours within the given timeline depending on their design to meet the objectives outlined in section iii. The expert may be open to assist if needed to respond to any queries that may arise on the deliverables after the period of engagement is over.
Elements which JobStart will consider for the selection of experts:
- Extensive knowledge of the sector and its hiring trends
- Broad range of networks across small, medium and large organizations within the sector in Greater Toronto Region (GTA)
- Prior experience developing strategic plans and vision documents
- Experience as hiring manager and active in diversity and inclusion initiatives
- Provide resume that details knowledge, experience, expertise and describes how the candidate matches the selection elements described above. Please include if you are a member of a trade/ sectoral/ business association. If yes, please provide name and address of the association (including website) and the nature of association
Submission of the expression of interest:
Expressions of interest with resume should be sent by email only before November 30, 2020 to: