North York Community House (NYCH) is a dynamic neighbourhood centre that has been working with residents of northwest Toronto for over 25 years. We are committed to building strong, vibrant communities, and supporting local residents, new Canadians, parents and children, youth and seniors, meet and achieve their goals. NYCH believes that all the community members we serve have the strength and ability to succeed – our role is to help them get there.
The Language program part-time evening receptionist will manage the key reception function at Lawrence Square language program site. This position serves as a liaison between program staff at different locations, and people from the community, and is responsible for a number of administrative duties that support language program.
- Provide information and assistance regarding program registration and requirements
- Set up and ensure proper documentation of all students; enter new registration into data base
- Respond to telephone and in-person inquiries and provide appropriate referrals as required
- Complete month end reports using HARTs and iCARE
- Maintaining contact with students on waitlists for registration and childcare availability. Coordinating with current students for maintaining required attendance for the program
- Oversee TTC token distribution every week, track and generate monthly reports
- Maintain filing and organization of program
- Assist program manager, language instructors and childcare workers with administrative functions; printing attendance documents, keeping track of hours worked by supply staff and submitting reports to the manager, setting up equipment, keeping track of student PBLA (Portfolio Based Language Assistance) binders
- Review monthly staff expenses
- Generate ad-hoc reports for funders as required
- Maintain records of student hours and print certificates for citizenship application
- Provide referrals to appropriate North York Community House staff and/or other services in the community
- Other duties as assigned
- The minimum level of education preferred is a community college diploma in information technology, communications, or business administration.
Experience and Skills
- Minimum of one year experience in customer service, administration, managing reception and, experience performing multiple duties in a non-profit setting
- Excellent organization and time management skills, strong attention to detail
- Understanding of issues around diversity and working with newcomers
- Strong oral and written communication skills in English
- Proficiency in the use of computers, laptops, photocopiers, cell phones, projectors and printers
- Typically works evening hours from 6.00 pm to 9.00 pm (Monday, Wednesday, Friday) with some travel required within the GTA. May be responsible for carrying/caring a laptop and cell phone.
- A successful clearance of criminal record verification will be required when necessary for the position.
How to Apply:
Please submit cover letter and resume by: Tuesday January 16, 2018 at 5:00 p.m.
Language Program Part- time Evening Receptionist – Hiring Committee,
North York Community House
700 Lawrence Ave. West, Suite 226
North York, ON - M6A 3B4
North York Community House welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
No phone calls please - only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.