Sudbury has been selected as a Welcoming Francophone Community as part of the Government of Canada’s Action Plan for Official Languages.
Under the Welcoming Francophone Communities initiative, a total of 14 communities across Canada will receive funding so they can create programs and activities to help French-speaking newcomers feel welcomed and integrated into Francophone minority communities. This initiative of $12.6 million over 3 years was announced in Budget 2018 to support the integration and retention of French-speaking newcomers in Canada.
The new Francophone immigration strategy, Meeting Our Objectives: Francophone Immigration Strategy, announced on March 13, 2019, is a collaborative approach with federal, provincial, territorial and community partners, an approach described as “by and for Francophones”. It seeks to enhance the vitality of official-language minority communities through immigration and specifically by increasing the proportion of French-speaking permanent residents outside of Quebec, supporting the integration and retention of French-speaking newcomers, and building the capacity of Francophone communities.
Francophone Welcoming Communities initiative
- The initiative is a pilot project co-led by IRCC and Francophone communities, which include the 13 Réseaux en immigration francophone, the Fédération des communautés francophones et acadienne du Canada (FCFA) and the Comité atlantique sur l’immigration francophone (CAIF).
Meeting Our Objectives: Francophone Immigration Strategy
- A number of initiatives under the new strategy are already under way, including those announced by the Minister in November 2018 as part of National Francophone Immigration Week.
- As of December 2018, 4.5% of Express Entry invitations to apply were issued to French-speaking candidates, compared to 2.9% in 2017.
- Meeting Our Objectives: Francophone Immigration Strategy 2018-2023
- Francophone Immigration (Outside Quebec)
- Action Plan for Official Languages – 2018-2023: Investing in Our Future
- Immigration Minister announces key initiatives to promote Francophone immigration from pre-arrival to citizenship
- Federal/Provincial/Territorial Action Plan for Increasing Francophone Immigration Outside of Quebec