Overpayments and Agreements to Pay Back Social Assistance

Community Legal Education Ontario (CLEO)

The website 'Steps to Justice' now has information on overpayments and agreements to pay back social assistance.

More Information: 

Ontario Works (OW) will say you have an overpayment if they think that you got more social assistance than you should have. This could be money from OW or from the Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP).

This means that when you’re getting financial assistance from OW, they can collect an overpayment that happened because:

  • You used to get income support from ODSP, and
  • ODSP paid you more than they should have.