Ontario Ministry of Community and Social Services
The government of Ontario is making enhancements to the province's social assistance programs aimed to help recipients reach their full potential.
- Increasing social assistance rates by two per cent for all people receiving social assistance.
- Helping people who live in remote and northern communities -- who often pay more for basic needs like groceries and transportation -- by increasing the Remote Communities Allowance.
- Increasing limits on cash and other assets so that people can better manage financial setbacks.
- Increasing the income exemption for cash gifts, to better recognize that people receiving social assistance may also receive support from family or friends.
- Streamlining rules to make the system work better for people.