CICS is a not-for-profit organization with a mission to empower newcomers in settling and integrating as contributing members of Canadian society through diverse, professional and innovative programs and services. We work to enable newcomers to fully integrate, participate and contribute to all spheres of Canadian society. Our success stems from our workforce culture-bound by three core values: Compassion, Inclusion and Collaboration.
Ref.: 34-22 / Worker
Job Title: Youth Worker
Work location: Welcome Centre Markham South and various CICS itinerant locations in GTA.
Team: Youth Services
Hours: 35 hours per week; required to work regular hours in evenings, Saturdays and some holidays
Salary Range: $45,263 to $50,924
Current Rate: $24.87 per hour
Essential duties & responsibilities:
• To support the academic and social development of newcomer children and teenagers between the age of 13-24 and assist the children and youth in improving their social skills, leadership skills, employment skills and, enhancing confidence and increasing their knowledge of development resources available;
• To design, organize, facilitate, and evaluate group sessions; to use online platforms to promote and deliver workshops, events and services for immigrant youth and their families;
• To keep abreast of the needs of and extend outreach to multicultural immigrant/at-risk/low-income youths.
• To provide one-on-one and case management services to immigrant/at-risk/low-income youths;
• To facilitate access to needed services and resources where barriers are due to language, culture, race, and class by providing interpretation or translation.
• To keep and maintain records in a timely and professional manner.
• To keep the team updated on all new information and be cooperative in the maintenance of information by tracking government policies and community resources in order to effectively inform and refer clients;
• To update clients’ database and prepare statistical and financial reports;
• To monitor program activities, budget and expenses as directed;
• To establish and maintain working relationships and communication with internal and external groups.
• To provide support to the team on a daily basis and work alongside other youth workers
• Canadian university degree or equivalent in Social Sciences or a related discipline;
• Certification or training in Community Services, Counselling or other related disciplines an asset;
• Minimum 2 years of related work experience, preferably in front-line youth service, especially in youth employment skills and engagement in a non-profit setting;
• Excellent understanding of the cultural and social background of immigrant youth and families; knowledge of programs and services for immigrant youth and their families, and resources available to assist them in integration and adaptation to the new society;
• Proven abilities in program and service organization and coordination, referrals, task management, and working with diverse cultures and mixed age groups;
• Be innovative and skilled in program design, activity organization and community outreach; accomplished skills in life skills facilitation, performing arts, sports and other youth programming skills;
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills with youth and parents;
• Excellent oral and written English skills, public speaking, and report writing skills; proficiency in a second language commonly used by clients - Mandarin/Cantonese.
• Confident and experienced in virtual service delivery is a definite asset;
• Proficiency in computer; Microsoft Office, graphic software and social media that facilitate work, communication and online marketing;
• Flexible, ability to work regularly in evenings and weekends and travel in GTA.
• Ability to perform some physical activities (e.g. lifting and loading program materials and office equipment);
• A negative result in Vulnerable Sector Screening is mandatory;
• Valid Ontario driver’s license and access to a car to carry out duties is preferred.
How to apply:
Resume and cover letter are to be sent to CICS by email: email@example.com by 5:00 p.m. on August 15, 2022.
Applicant should quote Job # 34-22 / Youth Worker and address the cover letter to: CICS Hiring Committee, 2330 Midland Ave, Toronto, ON M1S 5G5
CICS is an equal opportunity employer. We provide accommodations during the recruitment process for persons with disabilities if required. This will be in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians Disability Act and Ontario Human Rights Code. We thank all those who respond to this posting. Only those selected for further screening will be contacted. No telephone enquiries, please.