With 37 years of operations, Skills for Change is a highly respected non-profit with a province wide reputation for pioneering programs that respond to shifting immigration and workplace trends and lead to employment. Skills for Change provides multi-sited employment, job skills, career exploration through mentoring and entrepreneurship, job development, and language and settlement programs and services throughout the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Areas.
Program Nature and Scope:
Reporting to Manager, Programs and Services or his/her delegate, the Youth (Women) in Skilled Trades Peer Worker provides guidance and coaching to youth (women/girls) in skilled trades or interested in skilled trades to enhance their ability to meet career goals. - Increase knowledge and awareness of various skilled trades programs that target youth (women/girls) in order to support with referrals to appropriate programs and services.
- Conduct outreach (in person and virtual) to local service providers and employer partners in (Peel/York) to market trades Win Support and other Skills for Change's programs services to stakeholders
- Conduct research on immigration patterns in local and surrounding communities to uncover trends in support of marketing plans and proposal development
- Support the marketing and implementation of information sessions, community events and other outreach activities
- Assist staff in running workshops and group sessions
- Provide administration support to program as needed
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal)
- Strong organizational and communication skills
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment
- Ability to work in a diverse and dynamic employment setting
- Strong customer service skills
- Ethical, positive work attitude
- Punctual, reliable
- Ability to speak a language other than English and French is an asset
- Strong grasp of working online, Gmail, Google docs, Excel, etc.
- Accurate, detail oriented
- College diploma or university degree in human services field such as Social Work, Social Services, Community Work or related field, or equivalent work experience
- And/or currently enrolled in a post-secondary institution
- And/or relevant direct experience
- Ability to secure a Police Vulnerable Sector Check is mandatory and must be provided prior to starting employment
Contract length: Between 6 to 12 weeks
Hours: Between 30 to 35 hours per week (Monday- Friday, with occasional evening and/or weekend hours)
How to apply:
Please submit a resume and cover letter by May 30, 2019 to:
Skills for Change offers accommodation for applicants with disabilities in each stage of the hiring process. If you are contacted regarding a job opportunity, please advise if you require accommodation. This document is available in alternate format on request.
The agency provides learning and training opportunities for immigrants, refugees and equity seeking groups to access and fully participate in the workplace and wider community to persons with disabilities to newcomers to Canada (including refugees) to Indigenous peoples to members of a visible minority to children or youth to seniors to the LGBTQ2 community.
Thank you to all applicants for their interest in this position however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.