Brampton Multicultural Community Centre (BMC) is a charity, established in 1987, that provides settlement and social services to newcomer, immigrant and the larger community in the Peel Region. Our mandate is to enable less advantaged individuals, families and groups in the community to achieve their potential, improve their life skills and build their futures. As a Youth Employment Specialist you will be responsible for enhancing newcomer youth personal skills and business knowledge necessary for successful entrepreneurship. You will develop and facilitate training workshops for youth, provide client support services, generate opportunities for youth by identifying, developing and maintaining relationships with local business and organizations.
- Identify, outreach, orient and recruit appropriate program participants
- Increase newcomer youth participant’s awareness and knowledge of programs and resources available to help them start their own business
- Develop service plans and enhance youth personal skills and business knowledge necessary for successful entrepreneurship and connect them with other entrepreneurs for guidance and support
- Provide Information and support provided either individually or in a group setting will cater to newcomers who want to start their own business or acquire an existing one including franchising opportunities
- Create and develop workshop materials based on the program guidelines and adapt delivery methods to meet participant’s needs
- Organize a variety of workshops on various topics related to business start-up and development in the areas of legislation, economy, taxation, resource management, marketing and business communication, etc.
- Collaborating with local business professionals and organizations, provide networking opportunities for youth with established business owners as well as legal, human resource, marketing and finance professionals
- Case Management - ensure proper and timely documentation of services including written case notes. Maintain and update employer database and tracking system
- Provide coaching, support, and mentorship for youth in the initial stages of employment and maintain relations with employers, assist with finding employment opportunities for Youth Services participants
- Coordinate and conduct marketing and outreach activities to community agencies, organizations and employers
- Any other related duties complementary to the job
- Reports to Executive Director or his/her designate
- Minimum 2 years demonstrated work experience in career development and employment training. Prior experience working with youth is a definite asset
- Knowledge and experience with case management, youth issues, concerns & challenges
- Knowledge of labour market issues and trends as they relate to the geographic, demographic and economic aspects of Peel, Halton and GTA
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, communication, presentation and facilitation skills
- Strong leadership skills to guide, motivate and inspire program participants to take action to successfully complete the program
- Ability to work with diverse people and communities with awareness to socio-economic and cultural barriers
- Capability to handle multiple priorities with ease and professionalism; able to work in a fast-paced environment with minimal supervision
- Strong communication (oral and written), and computer skills (Teams/Zoom, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook), Social Media (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn etc.) and Web based databases
- Adaptive to flexible working hours including evenings and weekends as needed
- Police Record Check for Vulnerable Sector is required as part of the hiring process
- Must own vehicle and a valid driver license, and liability insurance that covers your vehicle to be used for job related travelling as and when needed
This contract position is scheduled to begin ASAP until March 31st, 2021.
Hours: 35 per week
Location: Multiple - Peel Region
How to apply:
Please send your resume along with a cover letter in ONE document (PDF, Word, or RTF) referencing BMC- JC-0175– Youth Employment Specialist by September 7th, 2020 to:
Human Resources Department
Brampton Multicultural Community Centre
BMC is an equal opportunity employer that promotes the principles of diversity and equity, and adheres to the tenets of the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. Accommodations are available upon request; all requests must be made to the HR department in advance.
Thank you to all applicants for their interest. However only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.