With 37 years of operations, Skills for Change is a highly respected non-profit with a province-wide reputation for pioneering programs that respond to shifting immigration and workplace trends and lead to employment. Skills for Change provides multi-sited employment, job skills, career exploration through mentoring and entrepreneurship, job development, and language and settlement programs and services throughout the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Areas.
Program Nature and Scope:
Reporting to the Manager of Programs and Services, the Workshop Design Assistant (Settlement Program) will support settlement project staff and work closely with the program staff to design innovative workshops, develop new topics for training and new group activities. This role will aim to understand the needs of newcomer refugee and immigrant clients and develop interactive workshops and group sessions. Additional tasks include project outreach and promotion, providing information and referrals to project participants and other tasks as required.
- Support project development and maintenance
- dministrative assistance
- Outreach and project promotion
- Workshop topic, content and activity development
- Support networking, social mentoring
- Represent the agency at events, information booths and community events
- Provide excellent customer service and represent the agency in a positive light to community members and partners
- Event planning, coordination and implementation
- Support administrative needs (e.g. answering phones, responding to community inquiries, filing, photocopying etc.)
- Other tasks as required
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal)
- Eager to work with newcomers and equity seeking communities
- Strong organizational and communication skills
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment
- Ability to work in a diverse and dynamic employment setting
- Strong customer service skills
- Ethical, positive work attitude
- Punctual, reliable
- Ability to speak a language other than English and French is an asset
- Strong grasp of working online, Gmail, Google docs, Excel, Prezi, etc.
- Accurate, detail oriented
- College diploma in Social Service Worker or a related field
- And/or currently enrolled in a post-secondary institution
- And/or relevant direct experience working with newcomers, equity seeking communities
- Ability to secure a police Vulnerable Sector Check is mandatory and must be provided prior to starting employment.
Contract length: Between 6 to 12 weeks
Hours: Between 30 to 35 hours per week (Monday- Friday, with occasional evening and/or weekend hours)
How to apply:
Please submit a resume and cover letter by May 30, 2019 to:
Skills for Change offers accommodation for applicants with disabilities in each stage of the hiring process. If you are contacted regarding a job opportunity, please advise if you require accommodation. This document is available in alternate format on request.
The agency provides learning and training opportunities for immigrants, refugees and equity seeking groups to access and fully participate in the workplace and wider community to persons with disabilities to newcomers to Canada (including refugees) to Indigenous peoples to members of a visible minority to children or youth to seniors to the LGBTQ2 community.
Thank you to all applicants for their interest in this position however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.