Indus Community Services is an accredited, not-for-profit community benefit organization that has served local communities for over three decades. We are a registered charity, supported by our donors and by all three levels of government. Through our professional staff, we are a leader in the provision of culturally responsive services to newcomers, families, women & seniors.
To be leaders in building strong and inclusive communities.
We are a community benefit organization focused on building resilient and healthy communities by offering person-centered, anti-oppressive programs and services.
Under direction of the Manager – Community Development, the Volunteer Services Coordinator is responsible for ensuring the successful program delivery and community engagement by providing leadership, mentoring and support to the agency’s volunteer programs, volunteers and clients.
Responsibilities & Duties: (but not limited to)
• Responsible for the recruitment, screening, matching and retention of volunteers.
• Follow intake, interview, and screening protocols for potential volunteers to ensure the best match between the skills, qualification, and interests of the volunteers and the needs of the program.
• Respond to program inquiries and referrals; Act as the first point of contact for all volunteer requests and FV clients.
• Promote the Volunteer Services program to gain community support for the program and the organization.
• Ensure that monthly and annual volunteer service targets are managed and met.
• Input and maintain accurate volunteer information/files, statistical data and program reports including service hours and records in the Sumac and Caseworks databases and agency statistical reports.
• Review and verify all volunteer services statistics on a monthly basis.
• Ensure program policies, procedures and standards are followed, and confidentiality and privacy requirements are maintained to highest level.
• Ensure service delivery meets client expectations and program standards; collect and analyze feedback from relevant stakeholders.
• Evaluate volunteer interactions, feedback their experience with the organization.
• Develop a viable outreach plan and implement effective strategies to ensure on-going recruitment of volunteers with the right skills to meet program targets.
• Plan and implement volunteer recognition activities and touch points throughout the year
• Develop and update role descriptions, policies, procedures, orientation and training materials, conduct interviews and deliver orientation and training sessions.
• Ensure continuous program improvements including:
• Foster community partnerships and collaborations to enhance recruitment.
• Implement best practices in volunteer management and coordination.
• Monitor and update program content on Indus’ website and other external sites.
• Friendly Visiting Program
• Plan, coordinate and deliver effective Friendly Visiting services (FV) including Security Reassurance Checks.
• Respond to program inquiries and referrals; Assess and identify service requirements.
• Conduct in-home/virtual needs assessments and develop individualized service plans for each client.
• Monitor clients’ participation, and make internal and external referrals as needed.
• Supervise and support FV volunteers; including ensuring their safety while in the client’s home.
• Develop diverse and meaningful virtual programming to effectively engage clients.
• Assist with quality assurance audits/surveys of the Volunteer program.
• Participate in staff and team meetings, and professional development opportunities as required.
• Adopt safe work practices, reporting unsafe conditions immediately.
• Perform other related duties from time to time as assigned.
Qualifications & Skills:
• Post-secondary education in Gerontology, Social Work or Social Service Worker, combined with two years of experience with seniors, and/or working in a community health care environment or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Direct experience working with frail, elderly and/or cognitively impaired seniors and knowledge of their unique needs.
• Good knowledge of volunteer administration practices and procedures including experience with recruitment, selection, orientation, training, supervision, coaching and evaluation of volunteers.
• The ability to communicate with, supervise and empower volunteers to be effective in their roles.
• Knowledge of client-centered case management service delivery, with evidence of solid observational skills.
• Proven ability to listen and make appropriate determinations for support in general service needs.
• Sensitivity to people from different socio-economic backgrounds with an equity lens.
• Knowledge of a broad range of social, health and community services available in the GTA.
• Strong customer service skills, with a proven ability to build and maintain strong and productive working relationships with all stakeholders.
• Excellent presentation, strong oral and written communication skills, with the ability to prepare and present materials, including standards and documentation, to all levels of management, staff and other stakeholders.
• Strong leadership and team-building skills with the ability to take initiative.
• Detail oriented, highly organized and able to set priorities with a minimum of supervision.
• Excellent time management skills with the capacity to work simultaneously on multiple tasks and emerging priorities and deliver within deadlines.
• Ability to problem-solve requests with tact and good judgment.
• Capable of working effectively in a team environment.
• Strong computer skills including Microsoft Suite, email, database management software (Caseworks and Sumac preferred), social media and other on-line platforms which enhance communications.
• Ability to work flexible hours including occasional evenings, weekends and to work from any Indus work-site.
• Valid Driver’s License with reliable transportation is required.
• Successful candidates must provide a satisfactory Vulnerable Sector Check prior to commencing employment.
• It is a condition of employment that employees provide proof that they are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 prior to the start date of employment. Applicants who have appropriate written proof of a medical reason, or a reason pursuant to the Ontario Human Rights Code, for not being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 may provide such documentation to the Human Resources department. Such situations will be considered on a case-by-case basis in compliance with Indus' legal obligations.
This job posting is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other related duties to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
Indus Community Services is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to establishing a qualified workforce that is reflective of the diverse populations we serve. We are committed to accommodating people with disabilities as part of our hiring process. If you have special requirements, please advise Human Resources during the recruitment process. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals; however, only those under consideration will be contacted. No phone calls please.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their application, including a complete resume of qualifications and experience, electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org by 12:00pm, August 22nd, 2022. Please ensure your application email has the subject heading of “Volunteer Services Coordinator” - (insert your name)’