The Fort York Food Bank (FYFB) is a grassroots, peer-supported registered charity focused on restoring the dignity and integrity of individuals through partnerships that feed the hungry and help people.
The best candidate should share in our vision and mission and be comfortable working with low-income residents. They should be able to get along with a diverse group of colleagues, volunteers, and clients. As the face of FYFB – communicate with diplomacy and professionalism and work with all stakeholders – including volunteers, board members, clients, and others.
Reporting to the Executive Director, with opportunities to work with Board Directors and senior volunteers. The primary role is to connect with our clients, assisting them with information and referrals as well as helping to run an efficient, safe, and welcoming organization.
Key Role Responsibilities
- Work directly with clients, completing client intake and assessment, as well as providing information and referrals and other support clients may require (housing, employment, legal, etc.).
- Assist and support to daily operations of food programs
- Work with staff and board of directors to further program development and community responsiveness.
- Optional: Assist with social media content creation by taking pictures, short videos of FYFB daily activities, creating written summaries for postings
- Be between 18 and 30 years of age at the beginning of the employment period
- Be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act for the duration of the employment*
- Have a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment and be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations
- Minimum in-process of post-secondary education
- Demonstrate good verbal and written communication skills
- Work well with others but also able to work independently
- Demonstrates creative problem-solving skills, able to work under pressure
- Be committed to working for and with low-income people, diverse cultural groups, people living with mental health and addictions and to the principles of anti-oppression and social justice work
- Ability to do data entry and maintain proper records
- Current experience as a volunteer at FYFB an advantage
- Social Work course work an asset
- Social media knowledge an asset
- Mandarin speaking an asset
Compensation: $20/ hour for 12 weeks, 30 hours a week, Tuesday to Friday
How to apply:
Please send your resume and brief cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Indicate in the subject line your name and Advocacy and Operations Assistant. We thank all applicants for their interest, but only those selected for interviews will be contacted. Interviews will be arranged by telephone or Zoom. Deadline to apply is May 27, 2022.
Fort York Food Bank is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
* International students are not eligible participants. International students include anyone who is temporarily in Canada for studies and who is not a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person who has been granted refugee status in Canada. Youth awaiting a refugee status ruling, as well as those who hold a temporary visitor visa, youth visa or work visa are ineligible