With 37 years of operations, Skills for Change is a highly respected non-profit with a province wide reputation for pioneering programs that respond to shifting immigration and workplace trends and lead to employment. Skills for Change provides multi-sited employment, job skills, career exploration through mentoring and entrepreneurship, job development, and language and settlement programs and services throughout the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Areas.
Reporting to the Supervisor, Employer Engagement & Program Marketing the Social Services Assistant will support research, project design, and grant coordination tasks, as they relate to employment programs. Primary responsibilities include: researching potential funders who have similar visions, missions, and objectives compatible with Skills for Change, supporting and writing background research, funding requests, and progress reports; and developing the case for support from potential new funders such as government, private and corporate foundations and individuals.
- Conduct weekly research on resource development opportunities and accordingly update our resource development plan and calendar
- Support the writing of project backgrounds and proposals, including project plans, detailed budgets, monitoring and evaluation frameworks, timelines and milestone plans
- Support research projects and write literature reviews. Research topics will include immigration trends, demographics and labour market trends amongst others
- Review and edit grants, proposals and research products before submission, ensuring compliance with both external and internal criteria
- Support the writing and design of development of monthly departmental updates through departmental status reports and presentations
- Review current employment programs and conceptualize new and innovative employment programs
- College Diploma, Post-Graduate Diploma, Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in social science, humanities, international development or communications
- Applicants must have reached the age of 15 and not yet reached the age of 30 upon commencement of employment
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada
- International students are not eligible
- Ability to write clear, precise and compelling documents (supply writing sample)
- Knowledge of Logic Framework methodology and budget design a plus
- Knowledge of the local philanthropic community a plus
- Excellent organizational skills, data synthetization capabilities and attention to details
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel and PowerPoint) and knowledge of Salesforce a plus
- Ability to work independently, manage priorities and thrive in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent relationship-building and interpersonal communication skills required; ability to work well in a team setting; demonstrated teamwork experience
- Ability to secure a police Vulnerable Sector Check is mandatory and must be provided prior to starting employment
Contract type: Contract (8 weeks)
Start date: June 29, 2020
Hours: 35 hours per week (Monday- Friday, with occasional evening and/or weekend hours)
Rate: $ 14.00
Location: 791 St. Clair Ave West Toronto
How to apply:
Please send your application by to:
Skills for Change provides learning and training opportunities for immigrants, refugees and equity seeking groups to access and fully participate in the workplace and wider community to persons with disabilities to newcomers to Canada (including refugees) to Indigenous peoples to members of a visible minority to children or youth to seniors to the LGBTQ2 community.
Skills for Change offers accommodation for applicants with disabilities in each stage of the hiring process. If you are contacted regarding a job opportunity, please advise if you require accommodation. This document is available in alternate format on request.