Hostel services program provide short-term accommodation and support services for vulnerable populations experiencing homelessness including but not limited to families, refugees, women fleeing domestic violence and singles. COSTI’s shelters provide clients with a pet friendly dwelling.
This is a full-time Union Contract position scheduled to work 35 hours per week, morning shift (7:00 am – 3:00 pm), mix of weekdays and weekend days. Current incumbent is on a secondment
• Complete admissions and intakes of new arrivals.
• Ensures house rules are observed.
• Supports the delivery of programs/orientation and services to the residents.
• Completes needed documentation on COSTI’s and funders database.
• Responsible for ensuring welcome packages, welcome files and admission files are ready and prepared regularly.
• Responsible for sorting and distributing mail, including contacting clients.
• Supports the smooth operation of the Centre, which includes responding to emergencies.
• De-escalates non-violent crises, e.g. client altercation, family conflicts.
• Conducts COVID screening for clients including supervising Rapid testing
• Conducts regular room checks and wellness checks.
• Provides emergency intervention in case of client illness and calls paramedics if required.
• Communicates in a timely and professional manner with the supervisor regarding any client concerns.
• Document services to clients and incident reports.
• Supports the general office duties such as answering telephones and responding to client issues.
• Provides interpretation services, as required.
• Communicates in a timely and professional manner with the hotel management regarding any client concerns.
• Community college diploma in community work/human services or equivalent.
• Minimum six (6) months fulltime work experience working in a shelters or respite setting.
• Excellent communication skills.
• Understanding of issues facing refugees and populations experiencing homelessness.
• Demonstrated experience responding to crises and providing supportive counselling.
• Preference will be given to those who speak a second language
• Experience working with refugees is an asset.
• Ability to work independently.
• Required to provide a valid Vulnerable Sector Screening (VSS) Police check. The VSS must have been completed within the past 6 months.
• Must have valid first aid/ CPR certificate.
• Must be fully vaccinated or be exempt from vaccination on human rights grounds. COSTI reserves the right to require information establishing the validity of the exemption.
LOCATION: HWY 401 and Victoria Park
START DATE: April 3, 2023 – December 31, 2023
STARTING SALARY: $39, 843 - $42, 881 per annum + benefits
POSTING DATE: March 8, 2023
CLOSING DATE: March 21, 203
Priority consideration will be given to those on Notice of Recall.
Qualified candidates are invited to submit their resumes and cover letters as one file quoting reference #67-23 to the below link: