COSTI REQUIRES SHELTER SUPPORT PERSONS FOR ITS SHELTER SERVICES
COSTI is a multicultural organization providing social services, settlement, employment, and language training services. For more information about COSTI, visit website at www.costi.org.
Shelter Services provide short-term accommodation and support services for vulnerable populations experiencing homelessness including but not limited to families, refugees, women fleeing domestic violence and singles.
These are non-union contract positions scheduled to work 35 hours per week, Monday to Friday, 7:00 am- 3:00 pm (3 positions).
• Ensures house rules are observed.
• Supports the delivery of programs/orientation and services to the residents.
• Responsible for the admission, discharge and profile creation on the database for new clients.
• Responsible for ensuring welcome packages, welcome files and admission files are ready and prepared regularly.
• Responsible for sorting and distributing mail, including contacting clients.
• Supports the smooth operation of the Centre, which includes responding to emergencies. De-escalates non-violent crises, e.g. client altercation, family conflicts.
• Supports the general office duties such as answering telephones and responding to client issues.
• Conducts COVID screening and temperature check for clients.
• Conducts regular room checks and wellness checks.
• Provides emergency intervention in case of client illness and calls paramedics if required.
• Communicates in a timely and professional manner with the supervisor regarding any client concerns.
• Document services to clients and incident reports.
• Community college diploma in community work/human services or equivalent.
• Experience working in homeless shelters or respite sites.
• Excellent communication skills.
• Understanding of issues facing populations experiencing homelessness.
• Demonstrated experience responding to crises.
• Possession of a valid Naloxone training certificate is required.
• Required to provide a valid Vulnerable Sector Screening (VSS) Police check. The VSS must have been completed within the past 6 months.
• Must have valid first aid/ CPR certificate.
Priority consideration will be given to those on Notice of Recall.
Subject to the response of those on Notice of Recall, this position may be open to Union members on a secondment basis.
Qualified candidates are invited to submit their resumes and cover letters as one file, by clicking on the below link: