Tuesday, May 31, 2022 - 4:30pm
Immigrants Working Centre is looking for a Settlement & Pre-Employment Counsellor, Hindi and Punjabi speaking
- Post-secondary degree in Social Work, Social Service Work or another solutions-focused counselling discipline; or post-secondary degree in a related field plus 3 years’ direct experience delivering solutions-based counseling
- Demonstrated knowledge of and experience applying the following:
- A broad range of best practice strategies towards supporting clients facing multiple barriers to integration
- Relevant solutions-focused counselling practices, effective counselling, goal setting and coaching skills to promote clients’ success
- Group facilitation techniques
- Case coordination and case management
- Intersectionality and Anti-racist and anti-oppressive practice
- Effective note taking and file management
- Fluency in English, Punjabi and Hindi is required, fluency in additional languages is an asset.
- Extensive knowledge of community resources and systems of support in Hamilton
- Exceptional customer service skill
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Deliver integrated settlement and pre-employment services to newcomers to Canada, provide solutions-based counseling one-on-one and in groups, aiming to increase opportunities for newcomer to become economically engaged and settled in Hamilton through the following activities
- Needs and assets assessment
- Information and referral
- Access and advocacy
- Employment goal setting
- Labour market orientation
- Portfolio development
- Canadian labour standards orientation
- Work one-on-one with participants to develop action plans for settlement in Hamilton, including labour market entry.
- Work one-on-one with participants to develop initial action plans for labour market entry that includes specific activities and timelines.
- Develop and present group information session and/or workshop material based on the settlement and pre-employment needs of newcomers accessing services.
- Represent IWC at local meetings, forums and networks to build collaboration with other organizations, gain new information, and contribute to dialogue and solutions, with the primary goal of increasing opportunities for community engagement and economic integration for newcomers to Canada.
- Maintain electronic records of participation and relevant program statistics, including case files for individuals accessing services; and electronic records of employers and workplaces contacted.
- Participate in team meetings to gain across-the-board collaboration towards improved economic integration outcomes for newcomers to Canada.
- Liaise with Settlement Program Manager on progress and issues in program development and implementation.
How to apply:
Send resume and cover letter to the Hiring Committee:
Preferred contact method: