Indus Community Services is an accredited, not-for-profit community benefit organization that has served local communities for over three decades. We are a registered charity, supported by our donors and by all three levels of government. Through our professional staff, we are a leader in the provision of culturally responsive services to newcomers, families, women & seniors.
To be leaders in building strong and inclusive communities.
We are a community benefit organization focused on building resilient and healthy communities by offering person-centered, anti-oppressive programs and services.
Under the general guidance of the Manager - Settlement Services, the incumbent will provide settlement services to newcomers, addressing both their settlement and employment needs, through appropriate workshops, and one-on-one employment/settlement counselling support.
Responsibilities and Duties: (but not limited to)
* Provide information, referral, orientation and counselling services to meet the social, cultural, economic and educational needs of newcomers; such as accessing health care, housing, education, legal and social services.
* Assist clients in understanding and integrating into Canadian society, practices and procedures; advise on way of life, institutions, laws, etc.
* Work with community and government agencies regarding services to ensure quick and seamless integration of newcomers into Canadian society
* Plan and organize information sessions on various topics based on clients’ needs.
* Facilitate appropriate referrals and access to services in the community.
* Plan and facilitate educational workshops on settlement issues.
* Document needs and gaps in services for newcomers.
* Interpret for clients where language is a barrier.
* Provide culturally sensitive employment services including intake assistance, one-on-one employment counselling, career exploration, job search training and support, and referrals to other community services.
* Complete initial assessment of client needs to determine suitability and readiness for employment workshops.
* Conduct vocational assessments and assist clients with work action plans to enter the labour market.
* Provide individual coaching, training and direct support and assistance to participants in the areas of resume writing, interview preparation, job search strategies and other employment/career related topics, according to client needs.
* Provide information to clients on human resources, human rights, labour laws and other employment-related topics.
* Assist clients in understanding Canadian workplace culture, business communication, work ethics, etc.
* Provide information related to available training sources, education options, second career, etc.
* Maintain professional and accurate client files and monthly reports in accordance with program and agency requirements, including all documentation, client activities, registration, assessment, case notes, work action plans, exit and follow-ups.
* Assist clients in the resource room with job postings, various Job Banks, Internet Job Search, and use of directories, newspapers, books, etc.
* Research and gather information to obtain new and updated resources and tools.
* Organize related materials and resources for easy access to clients.
* Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Skills:
* Post-secondary education in Social Work, Settlement Work, Adult Education, Business Communication, Employment Counselling with previous work experience in employment counselling and settlement services.
* Demonstrated sensitivity and sincere interest in meeting the needs of newcomers and immigrants.
* Demonstrated experience in the client-centred case management service delivery approach.
* Extensive knowledge of the immigration system, and services available to assist newcomers to Canada.
* Expertise in assisting internationally-trained professionals with job search, resume/cover letter writing, interview skills, self-assessment, goal setting, and other strategies leading to employment.
* Demonstrated knowledge of labour market trends, employment opportunities and social services in Peel/Halton/GTA.
* Knowledge of employment related legislation, professional practice standards and licensing requirements.
* Good organizational skills, ability to multitask while maintaining high level of accuracy in data collection.
* Self-directed, self-motivated and able to work independently and as part of a team.
* Demonstrated cross-cultural communication skills with strong group facilitation and presentation skills.
* Excellent oral and written English skills are required, second language is an asset.
* Ability to work in a culturally diverse environment and a strong understanding of inclusive and equitable service delivery.
* Must be Proficient in MS Office Applications; Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook and Internet and databases.
* Ability to work flexible hours including evenings, weekends and to work from any one of the agency’s sites.
* Valid Driver’s License with reliable transportation.
* Successful candidates must provide a satisfactory Criminal Background Check prior to commencing employment and ICARE Clearance will be required.
* It is a condition of employment that employees provide proof that they are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 prior to the start date of employment. Applicants who have appropriate written proof of a medical reason, or a reason pursuant to the Ontario Human Rights Code, for not being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 may provide such documentation to the Human Resources department. Such situations will be considered on a case-by-case basis in compliance with Indus' legal obligations.
This job posting is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other related duties to meet the ongoing needs of the organization. Indus Community Services is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to establishing a qualified workforce that is reflective of the diverse populations we serve. We are committed to accommodating people with disabilities as part of our hiring process. If you have special requirements, please advise Human Resources during the recruitment process. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals; however, only those under consideration will be contacted. No phone calls please.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their application, including a complete resume of qualifications and experience, electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org by 12:00pm, October 5th, 2022. Please ensure your application email has the subject heading of “Settlement & Employment Counsellor” - (insert your name)’