Brampton Multicultural Community Centre (BMC) is a charitable organization, established in Peel Region in 1987. Its mandate and core business is to enable newcomers, immigrant individuals and families to achieve their full potential and become productive participants in their adopted land. The Settlement Counsellor will provide settlement and counselling support services in first language to students and parents to ensure that newcomer families are aware of and enabled to access the full array of community services.
- Program planning, development, monitoring, case management, evaluation and documentation
- Providing counselling and referral on settlement issues and providing assistance to students and parents to ease school orientation
- Supporting school activities such as parent-teacher interviews, registration, open houses, school councils and other school programming
- Facilitating/conducting group information sessions for newcomers on community services and school-related topics
- Communicating with school staff at all levels (teachers, principals, social workers etc.)
- Identifying common trends and needs within the school’s newcomer community and providing recommendations to the school principal on how to better meet those needs
- Assisting in the operation of agency's programs & services including information updating, compiling monthly statistics, activity and outcome report submitted on a monthly, quarterly and yearly basis
- Distributing promotional material about the services for newcomers at BMC service locations and creating awareness of our services in the community
- Any other duties related to the settlement services and this position
- Post-secondary education: Degree/Diploma in Social Work or Social Services
- Minimum of two (2) years relevant experience in settlement sector with proven experience in assisting newcomers with settlement issues, preferably in schools
- Extensive knowledge of the immigration system and community services, programs, resources and outreach practices
- Ability to work independently and cooperatively and a team player
- Ability to work with school personnel in meeting the needs of newcomer students and their families
- Strong understanding of issues facing immigrants/newcomers in Peel region
- Strong interpersonal skills and excellent verbal communication
- Effective report writing ability and evaluation of program
- Excellent Computer skills: MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and CTIMS (database)
- Fluent in English and ability to speak, read and write Tamil a definite asset
- Police Record Check for Vulnerable Sector (within 6 months) is required as part of the hiring process
- Must have own transportation, driver license and valid insurance to use your vehicle for job related travelling.
This position is a full-time contract position ending March 30, 2020 and includes a six (6) week summer layoff between July 1st, 2019 until August 9th, 2019.
Working Hours: 35 per week
Location: Peel Region
How to Apply:
Please mail, fax or email resume along with a cover letter referencing BMC-JC-0162 - Settlement Counsellor (Tamil-Speaking) by May 31, 2019 to:
Human Resources Department
Brampton Multicultural Community Centre
197 County Court Blvd, Suite 303
Brampton, ON L6W 4P6
Brampton Multicultural Community Centre is an equal opportunity employer that promotes the principles of diversity and equity, and adheres to the tenets of the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. Accommodations are available upon request; all requests must be made to the HR department in advance..
Thank you to all applicants, however, only those candidates to be interviewed will be contacted. No phone calls please.