The Canadian Centre for Victims of Torture is looking for a dynamic Tamil speaking individual to become part of our Settlement Services team. Based out of one of our satellite locations, the settlement counselor will provide individual and group services to survivors of torture, victims of war and their families throughout the City. This position involves traveling as well as evening and weekend work. Fluent in (written and spoken) Tamil and English a requirement. Only emailed applications will be considered.
- Completes intake and assessment of potential clients to determine eligibility for CCVT services
- Provides counseling support as required, makes referrals to appropriate service provider (e.g. legal, medical, housing, immigration, education, employment, etc.)
- Organizes and oversees the functioning of weekly client support group
- Identifies and connects with potential partner organizations
- Provides client services at partner agencies and satellite locations, in addition to CCVT’s main office
- Prepares and delivers public education presentations on CCVT activities and on torture in general
- Maintains documentation on client files ; updates service registry as required
- Prepares reports on volume and effectiveness of client services, as per CCVT’s requirements
- Participates in organizational process such as program planning, case conferencing and evaluation
- Participates in the preparation of CCVT special events
- MSW or BSW with a minimum 2 years’ front-line experience in a communitybased organization
- Commitment to work from an anti-oppression, culturally competent framework and to systemic change
- Ability to deal effectively with crisis and conflict, and to maintain appropriate boundaries
- Thorough knowledge of community resources available to immigrants and refugees
- Strong supportive counselling skills, with an understanding of solution-focused modalities
- Strong group facilitation and presentation skills
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal in Tamil and English
- Knowledge of issues affecting low income, multi-lingual, and racialized communities
- Problem-solving, organizational and time management skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of an interdisciplinary team
- Willingness to travel and provide services throughout the City, and to work evenings and occasional weekends
This is a contract position until August 30, 2019.
Salary: $26.00 per hour
How to Apply:
Interested applicants are asked to submit their resume and cover letter by May 21, 2019 to:
The Canadian Centre for Victims of Torture encourage applications from individuals reflecting the diversity of our community.
Thank you to all applicants for their interest in CCVT, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.