The position of Senior Accountant has been established to ensure the fiscal needs and controls of the organization are in place and functioning effectively and efficiently.
The Senior Accountant is responsible for prompt, accurate financial transaction processing and control over specific accounts.
The Senior Accountant reports to the executive director and works closely with the Directors, the HR Payroll Clerk, AP-AR Clerk, and external auditors.
- Ensures accurate accounting records are maintained in accordance with current accounting policies and procedures
- Works closely with the Finance-Administration Department staff to maintain accounting standards and practices
- Advises on revisions to financial and accounting policies and procedures
- Maintains an up-to-date accounting policy and procedures manual
- Prepares documentation for budget submissions
- Prepares annual budget in consultation with the directors and executive director
- Prepares and inputs revenue allocations into accounting system, and makes adjusting entries as needed
- Monitors variances in annual, program and project budgets and reports variances to executive director
- Makes adjusting entries as needed with regards to expenditures
- Prepares financial claims for reimbursement, forecasts of cash flow and financial statements
- Reviews monthly GL report for accuracy and ensures adjusting entries are made
- Prepares timely, accurate reports for the Board of Directors, and management teams
- Prepares cost accounting forecasts and statements of cash flow for the organization as well as individual programs, and projects
- Inputs annual budget into accounting system
- Maintains and updates agency’s fixed assets: capital, renovations and equipment inventory
- Purchases and/or renews accounting system software (SAGE ERP 300-PJC) and other accounting equipment/software as needed
- Sits on the finance-audit committee as needed
- Liaises with auditors as needed
- Works closely with the Executive Director in the preparation of audits in accordance with fiscal responsibilities
- Prepares timely, accurate schedules and reports for annual audit
- Prepares timely and accurate reports and financial claims as identified by funders and contract agreements
- Liaises with funders regarding financial reports and claims
- Enters financial claims and forecasts of cash flow into funders’ online portals as needed
- Prepares and provides back-up documentation for external financial monitoring and/or audits by funders and/or financial supporters
- Government Agencies, Group Benefits and Donors:
- Prepares timely, accurate reports
- Prepares and files agency’s charitable return
- Prepares the agency’s WSIB, EHT, HST and Revenue Canada reports and returns
- Reports to the Executive Director
- Works closely with directors, co-ordinators, supervisors, external auditors, banks and software vendors, insurance brokers, accounting software consultants, and outside accounting support
- Works closely with the HR Payroll and AP-AR Clerks
- Tight Deadlines
- Office setting
- Manual dexterity required to use desktop computer and peripherals
- 35 hours per week – Monday to Friday with overtime as required
- Probation Period: 3 months with a job evaluation and review at 6 months.
- Post-secondary education in Accounting, Business Administration or equivalent with 3 years of accounting experience
- CMA, CA and/or CGA designation (or in process or near completion)
- 3 years experience in accounting in a computerized accounting environment
- Experience in a non-profit, charitable organization
- Knowledge of computerized bookkeeping/accounting software (SAGE ERP 300-PJC) and Info Explorer
- Computer knowledge and proficiency, specifically with Microsoft Office, spreadsheet software and other reporting tools
- Knowledge of reporting requirements of funding sources including government and charitable agencies
- Experience with project job costing accounting systems and processes
How to apply:
Submit resumes in confidence by 5:00 p.m. on May 23rd, 2019 to:
Candidates selected for interview must provide accounting designation and/or certification and/or registration and/or Canadian equivalency assessment Candidates must provide a current Criminal Reference Check clearance.
Rexdale Women’s Centre is an equal opportunity employer and subscribes to the Ontario Human Rights Act.
Thank you to all applicants for their interest but will only be contacting those selected to attend an interview.