Catholic Community Services of York Region (CCSYR) is a non-profit social service agency providing programs and services to culturally diverse clients and their families in York Region. CCSYR is seeking a School Settlement Worker for the Settlement and Education Partnership in York Region (SEPYR) to join our team.
Duties & Responsibilities:
• Provide direct settlement services for newcomer students and their families, including case management, information, referrals, interpretation, translation, advocacy, access to services, ono-on-one guidance and support on crisis situation and adjustment counselling.
• Provide settlement services to newcomer families in schools, at the School Boards’ Reception Centres, and other venues.
• Plan and organize newcomer orientation, group information sessions, community and family education workshops, and other settlement-related activities in collaboration with school staff. This will include evening and week-end events such as Parent-Teacher Interview Nights, Curriculum Nights, ESL Parent Nights, Experience the Culture series, workshops and others.
• Encourage and support newcomer students and their families in their involvement/ participation in school activities.
• Organize and facilitate self-help groups for newcomer students and their families.
• Assess settlement needs of newcomer students and their families and links them with community resources.
• Collaborate with school principals, guidance counsellors and teachers to integrate newcomer students and their families into the school system.
• Undertake service bridging and outreach activities to schools and service provider agencies in the region.
• Prepare and submit statistics, records and reports.
• Attend and participate in agency staff and team meetings, planning and training sessions.
• Perform related duties as requested by the Program Manager and/or Program Coordinator.
• BSW or BSSW or a university degree or college diploma in social sciences.
• A minimum of two years’ experience in settlement work, community development, or youth work.
• Strong ability to write and speak fluent English and a second language and excellent in cultural interpretation.
• Has experience in case work, group work and events organizing
• Wide knowledge of the Canadian Education system and community resources in York Region.
• Strong computer skills, knowledge of databases and administrative capabilities.
• Excellent interpersonal, presentation, negotiation, outreach, time management and organizational skills.
• Ability to work within the school systems and the SEPYR team with diverse staff.
• Strong ability to work with families from different cultural background and language.
• Valid Driver’s License, reliable vehicle and insurance coverage are required.
• A successful Police Vulnerable Sector Screening Check is required.
• Proof of COVID-19 vaccination.
Job Type: Full-time Permanent: 11 months/year
How to apply:
Interested individuals are requested to submit a resume with a cover letter on or before 4:00 pm, Friday, July 15, 2022,
The Hiring Committee
Catholic Community Services of York Region
Please indicate in the subject line: Your name – School Settlement Worker (Mandarin/Cantonese Speaking)
We thank all applicants; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
In compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA), accommodations are available on request to individuals with disabilities who are invited for interview and assessment. Catholic Community Services of York Region provides training to all employees, volunteers, agents and/or contractors who deal with the public or other third parties that act on behalf of the agency.