Position: Real English Coordinator (Instructor)
Term: Part-time – 16 hours per week, 39 weeks/year, July 9, 2018 – Indefinite
Reports to: LINC Manager
OCISO supports immigrants through the journey of making Canada their home by providing creative and responsive programs that are culturally and linguistically appropriate, by building community through mutual respect and partnerships, and by fostering healthy and inclusive spaces for open dialogue and healing.
Provide English language training to 2 groups of adult newcomers to Canada in accordance with guidelines set by the funder and program manager. 1- Project-based learning for non-progressing literacy learners 2- Speaking activities for Mom ‘n’ Me in the community.
• Program start up: identifying goals; registration set-up; hiring Child Educators; choosing assessment tools, creating entrance & exit questionnaires, client feedback surveys; purchasing program supplies; fulfilling space requirements & set-up; preparation re: activities and guest speakers; hiring external evaluator; outreach for participants, volunteers; networking with other ESL and LINC schools in Ottawa.
• Plan and present activities in accordance with adult learner needs; maintain PBLA speaking/listening portfolios.
• Maintain/prepare attendance logs, student evaluations and required reports.
• Identify resources and technology appropriate to support English language training at the relevant level.
• Design project-based speaking/listening learning plans that are level appropriate, innovative and support language development while also teaching how to integrate into Canadian culture.
• Accommodate special learning needs faced by equity groups and those from diverse cultures.
• Provide input to colleagues / manager regarding policies, resource requirements and other matters affecting programming.
• TESL Ontario Certificate.
• Familiarity with LINC Curriculum Guidelines and Canadian Language Benchmarks.
• Experience teaching and assessing newcomer adults at literacy and/or basic levels.
• Experience in curriculum and/or project-based skills development.
• Highly developed interpersonal skills: energetic / enthusiastic.
• Demonstrated ability to work in a multi-cultural team environment.
• Familiarity with services provided by OCISO.
• Understanding of immigrant/settlement issues.
• Ability and willingness to support and co-ordinate the contributions of volunteers, researchers and practicum students.
Application Deadline: June 1, 2018 by 5:00 p.m.
Please send a cover letter and a resume to Halimah Shaw, H.R. Administrator: email@example.com or by
Fax: (613) 288-2674
We encourage applications from qualified people of all backgrounds, including women, members of visible minorities, Aboriginal peoples, and persons with disabilities.
OCISO is committed to accessibility in employment and to ensuring equal access to employment opportunities for candidates, including persons with disabilities. In compliance with AODA, OCISO will endeavor to provide accommodation to persons with disabilities in the recruitment process upon request. If you are selected for an interview and you require accommodation due to a disability during the recruitment process, please notify the HR Administrator upon scheduling your interview.