Job Title: Project Assistant
Term: Part-time – 30 hours/week, May – July 2018 (8 weeks)
Reports to: Project Coordinator, Refugee 613
Are you a university or college student with an organized mind and office experience? Do you have a proven flair for connecting people and planning events? Are you passionate about using your skills to make a difference in the world? Refugee 613 needs you this summer!
OCISO supports immigrants through the journey of making Canada their home by providing creative and responsive programs that are culturally and linguistically appropriate, by building community through mutual respect and partnerships, and by fostering healthy and inclusive spaces for open dialogue and healing.
About Refugee 613:
Refugee 613 is a coalition of citizens, settlement agencies, sponsorship groups and community partners working to provide refugees with the building blocks of successful integration: a warm welcome and access to key services, opportunities and support. As an independent, non-partisan, grassroots effort, we aim to build on Ottawa's settlement services by providing our partners and the public with information, connection and inspiration. OCISO is the host agency for Refugee 613.
The Project Assistant will provide key support to Refugee 613 in its mission to support the integration of refugees in Ottawa.
● Assist the Project Coordinator with community outreach to inform, connect and inspire Ottawa to support refugees.
● Assist with planning and executing events as well as training and workshops for
community partners, private refugee sponsors and the general public.
● Conduct research related to refugee policy.
● Compile and design newsletters and other resources to connect community partners, sponsors and the general public to information, services and opportunities.
● Administrative tasks as required including meeting coordination and finance.
● Demonstrate a commitment to OCISO’s culture of respect approach.
● Aged 15 to 30 years old
● Enrolled as a post-secondary student in the previous academic year and intending to return to school on a full-time basis in the next academic year
● Enrolled in post-secondary or graduate social sciences degree or related field (political science, international relations, humanities), and/or equivalent experience
● Demonstrated ability to write clear, engaging communications with excellent grammar and style
● Highly motivated, creative and organized
● Experience planning and delivering learning and social events
● Strong interpersonal, organizational and time-management skills
● Excellent verbal and written knowledge of English required; proficiency in French or Arabic considered an asset
● Ability to work with a small, mission-driven team in a sensitive, respectful manner
● Experience in working with people from diverse cultural backgrounds
● Strong work ethic and ability to multi-task and work independently
● Proficiency with the full MS Office Suite, Mail Chimp, WordPress, Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.
We encourage applications from qualified people of all backgrounds, including women, members of visible minorities, Aboriginal peoples, and persons with disabilities.
OCISO is committed to accessibility in employment and to ensuring equal access to employment opportunities for candidates, including persons with disabilities. In compliance with AODA, OCISO will endeavor to provide accommodation to persons with disabilities in the recruitment process upon request. If you are selected for an interview and you require accommodation due to a disability during the recruitment process, please notify the HR Administrator upon scheduling your interview.
Please send a cover letter and resume to Halimah Shaw, H.R Administrator at firstname.lastname@example.org or by fax: 613-288-2674.