COSTI REQUIRES A FOOD SERVICES MANAGER FOR ITS RALPH CHIODO FAMILY IMMIGRANT RECEPTION CENTRE
COSTI is a multicultural organization providing social services, settlement, employment, and language training services. For more information about COSTI, visit www.costi.org.
This is a full-time non-union position scheduled to work 35 hours per week.
• Prepares and cooks large quantities of food for up to 120 people in accordance with the Canada food guide
• Orders food and procure food supplies on a daily basis for Reception Centre.
• Ensures that food preparation meets the standards of the Public Health.
• Ability to research and create menus that are ethnically diverse based on client preferences and dietary needs.
• Maintains and keeps a good relationship with vendors, distributors and food bank.
• Supervises, trains and schedules relief kitchen staff, cook, volunteers and student placement with kitchen duties.
• Ensures kitchen and equipment are well maintained and schedules regular maintenance service checks as required. Ensures equipment contracts are kept up to date.
• Prepares food invoices, maintains an inventory of kitchen supplies and equipment.
• Liaises with public health department and fire department to maintain health and safety regulations and Centre licenses.
• Daily cleaning of the kitchen equipment, cleaning of the filter system on a monthly basis according Public health Department standards.
• Carries heavy food supplies and equipment when needed up to 50lbs.
• Able to work within the budgetary guidelines of the Centre. Monitors and maintains control over expenditure of all food services operations. Makes recommendations for yearly budget preparations.
• Ensures the highest standards are maintained regarding kitchen sanitation and food preparation in accordance with public health standards.
• Performs other duties as required; food service, answer the phone, basic reception duties, orienting clients with kitchen procedures, receives supplies, emergency procedures; assisting with housekeeping duties, ensure recycling are place in the right place.
• Minimum of 3 years of experience operating and cooking in a kitchen preparing large quantity cooking (120 people per meal). This also includes supervising staff and monitoring a budget.
• Knowledge of budget planning, purchasing and principals of accounting and record keeping.
• Culinary Institute Certification (Certified Chef or equivalent).
• Must have Food Safety training Certificate.
• Must have a WHIMIS certificate.
• Able to carry and lift up to 50lbs.
• Able to stand for long periods of time.
• Experience working with refugees and diversity populations.
• Experience using and maintaining deli and meat slicer equipment.
• Able to cook Middle Eastern cuisine and international food.
• Ability to stay calm and make decisions while under pressure.
• Excellent communication, organization, and coordination skills.
• Experience working with refugees and understanding of issues related to poor nutrition and food starvation would be an asset.
• Able to fill in where needed e.g weekends and holidays to ensure efficient operations for the kitchen at the Centre.
• Fluency in English is a must. Ability to speak one of the following languages is considered an asset: Arabic, Dari, Farsi, Spanish, Amharic, and French.
• Required to provide a valid Vulnerable Sector Screening (VSS) Police check. VSS must have been completed within past 6 months.
Qualified candidates are invited to submit their resumes and cover letters as one file, by clicking on the below link: