Working Women Community Centre (WWCC) is a non-profit, community-based immigrant and refugee women’s organization providing a wide variety of services such as community development, settlement counselling, employment and placement support, support groups and English Language classes. All staff of the agency is responsible for demonstrating support and commitment to the mandate and objectives of the Centre. Staff is expected to work in the spirit of cooperation and to actively promote harmonious relations among staff members.
The focus of this position is to assist the Senior Manager of North York east in the co-ordination, planning, development and implementation of the LINC Program.
The WWCC LINC Program has multiple classes Literacy to level 8 day and evening /full-time and part-time with care for newcomer children available on site.
• Related University degree or College Diploma and TESL Certificate (OCELT Certified)
• 3 years’ experience teaching English as a Second Language (preference will be given to LINC experience)
• Demonstrated ability to effectively analyze, synthesize and disseminate pedagogical information
• Strong interpersonal skills and awareness of local community services
• Excellent organizational and communication skills
• Proven leadership skills with strong team work experience
• Conflict resolution skills
• Highly organized, tactful, flexible and enthusiastic
• Good working knowledge of standard office equipment and software applications
• Good working knowledge of educational IT equipment, language acquisition software and online resources
• Must have excellent working knowledge of language acquisition, Canadian Language Benchmarks, and newcomer settlement issues
• Experience in program coordination, teacher training and familiar with program management
• Extensive knowledge and experience in teaching program logistics and curriculum planning
• Working knowledge of Portfolio Based Language Assessment (PBLA) (preference will be given to those candidates with PLBA lead experience or relevant credentials)
Policies and Objectives –
• Assist the Senior Manager in the development of LINC policies and ensure implementation of the policies, plans and program.
• Update the LINC Manual to include policies and HR information: job descriptions, and add-ons
• Assist the Senior Manager in the development of long and short-term plans
• Work with Senior Manager to ensure PBLA implementation as per contribution agreement
Program Development –
• Ensure effective programming based on the PBLA Course description and CLB information
• Ensure continual evaluation of effectiveness of program delivery
• Provide information, logistical support, pedagogical information and language acquisition expertise to instructors of all levels and shifts
• Conduct activities related to the measurement of program outcomes
• Compile and provide classroom/instructional data to the manager as required
• Liaise with the manager to ensure there is adequate instructional materials and equipment
• Maintain an inventory of up-to-date instructional materials
• Work with LINC administration to support general program needs
Human Resources Management -
• Conduct classroom observations and evaluate work of teaching staff in order to determine performance, mentor changes that could strengthen teaching skills
• Identify skills gaps, and recommend appropriate professional development activities
• Assist in interviews and orientation for new staff and instructors
• Support PBLA Lead teachers
• Develop and maintain a harmonious and efficient working environment for instructors, and prove instructors with strategies for dealing with interpersonal (instructor-instructor / instructor –student as required)
• Schedule instructor-student portfolio reviews and support instructors with conducting those reviews
• Report back to manager on PBLA and class supervision visits
• Facilitate team cohesiveness and open discussion along with the Senior Manager
• Facilitate co-operation between the LINC Staff and other WWCC Staff and Programs
• Participate in agency staff meetings where required
• Interact effectively with the community and other service agencies: YMCA, TESL ON and PBLA
• Act as a spokesperson for the agency at CPC meetings, and sit on the TNLIP Settlement/Language/Integration workgroup
• Ensure course descriptions are up to date
• Ensure CLBs are updated by reconciling the numbers AFTER they have been input to make sure that they were input correctly (Instructors will give end of term): will NOT go into the HARTs system until all data has been input by the admin team
• Collect and collate statistical information along with the Senior Manager
• Prepare reports for the Senior Manager when required
• Assist in the preparation of the course schedule and PD
• Arrange guest speakers, PBLA days and presentation logistics
• Perform other related duties as required
Please send your resume with the subject line LINC Program Coordinator position to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The deadline for applications is on Monday, January 18th 2020 by 4pm.
No phone calls please. We thank all candidates for their interest, but only applicants chosen for an interview will be contacted.
Working Women Community Centre is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applicants from equity seeking groups. WWCC encourages applications from candidates with diverse cultural backgrounds, visible minorities, Aboriginal people, and people with disabilities. The Centre is a scent-free environment.