This is a union contract position scheduled to work 25 hours per week providing teaching
to a full-time daytime class.
No classes during the following closure periods:
December 19, 2022 - January 2, 2023 and March 13-17, 2023
• Design, implement, and instruct English as a Second Language classes in a LINC program based on the PBLA (Portfolio Based Language Assessment) guidelines.
• Design PBLA based module plans as well as daily lesson plans following the Revised Canadian Language Benchmarks 2012 and the LINC Curriculum Guidelines.
• Develop a diversity of course materials that are based on the Curriculum Guidelines in a task- based program for CLBs Literacy – Level 1.
• Conduct on-going needs assessments with learners, assist them to set learning goals and develop lessons accordingly.
• Design assessment tasks for on-going evaluation of learners’ progress based on the Canadian Language Benchmarks and PBLA guidelines.
• Assist learners in organizing and updating the PBLA Language Companions (learner portfolios) as evidence of their learning progress.
• Prepare learners’ conference summary and progress reports. Conduct one-on-one interviews with learners to provide feedback on learning progress.
• Provide computer-assisted instruction using language learning software and MS Office programs.
• Integrate online resources and delivery tools such as Avenue in language instruction.
• Maintain attendance records and other documentation as required.
• Organize special events to enhance learners’ participation and cultural experience.
• Assist in outreach activities to recruit LINC clients as required.
• TESL ON certificate from an accredited institution recognized by TESL Ontario.
• Minimum 3 years of experience teaching English as a Second Language to adult newcomers.
• Preference will be given to candidates with experience teaching CLBs Literacy – Level 1
• In-depth understanding of and experience using the Revised Canadian Language Benchmarks 2012 and the LINC Curriculum Guidelines.
• Preference will be given to candidates who have completed PBLA (Portfolio Based Language Assessment) and Avenue Stage 2 training.
• Experience providing online training will be an asset.
• Experience providing adult instruction using software associated with the LINC Program (i.e., Ellis, Clarity and Explore Canada) as well as Microsoft Word, Excel email and the Internet.
• Ability to adapt teaching methodology to the needs/skill levels of individual learners.
• Excellent English communication and interpersonal skills.
• Experience working in a multicultural environment.
• Demonstrated sensitivity to the needs of adult immigrants and refugees.
• Ability to work independently with excellent organizational and time management skills.
• Must be fully vaccinated or be exempt from vaccination on human rights grounds. COSTI reserves the right to require information establishing the validity of the exemption.
LOCATION: 1700 Wilson Avenue, Toronto ON
DURATION: September 6, 2022 to March 31, 2023
SALARY: $39.39/hour+ dental benefits
POSTING DATE: June 30, 2022
CLOSING DATE: July 14, 2022
Priority consideration will be given to those on Notice of Recall.
Priority consideration will be given to union members.
How to apply:
Qualified candidates are invited to submit their resumes and cover letters as one file quoting reference # 147-22 to the below link: https://creg.costi.ca/ui/hr/resume.aspx?refno=147-22