Ottawa Community Immigrant Services Organization - OCISO supports immigrants through the journey of making Canada their home by providing creative and responsive programs that are culturally and linguistically appropriate, by building community through mutual respect and partnerships, and by fostering healthy and inclusive spaces for open dialogue and healing.
Provide English language training to adult newcomers to Canada in accordance with guidelines set by the funder and program manager.
Reports to: LINC Manager
- Plan and present lessons in accordance with LINC Curriculum Guidelines and adult learner needs
- Maintain/prepare attendance logs, journal of activities, student evaluations and monthly reports
- Identify resources and technology appropriate to support the English language training at the relevant level
- Be able to design module and lesson plans that are level appropriate, creative, innovative and teach language development while also teaching how to integrate into Canadian culture
- Conduct initial and ongoing assessment of learners in accordance with Portfolio Based Language Assessment
- Accommodate special learning needs faced by equity groups and those from diverse cultures
- Provide input to colleagues / manager regarding policies, resource requirements and other matters affecting programming
- TESL Ontario accreditation preferred
- Familiarity with LINC curriculum guidelines, Canadian Language Benchmarks, portfolio based language assessment
- Experience in teaching ESL to adults with settlement needs/goals
- Experience in curriculum development
- Highly developed interpersonal skills: energetic / enthusiastic
- Demonstrated ability to work in a multi-cultural team environment
- Familiarity with services provided by OCISO
- Understanding of immigrant/settlement issues
- Ability and willingness to support and co-ordinate the contributions of volunteers, researchers and practicum students
- Proficiency with computer applications including the MS Office Suite, Internet Search Engines, Database Programs
Term: Part-time - 15 h/week, September – June (Evening classes, Monday to Friday, 5:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.)
How to Apply:
Please send a cover letter and a resume by 5:00 p.m. on July 26, 2019 to:
Halimah Shaw, H.R. Administrator
OCISO encourage applications from qualified people of all backgrounds, including women, members of visible minorities, Aboriginal peoples, and persons with disabilities.
OCISO is committed to accessibility in employment and to ensuring equal access to employment opportunities for candidates, including persons with disabilities. In compliance with AODA, OCISO will endeavor to provide accommodation to persons with disabilities in the recruitment process upon request. If you are selected for an interview and you require accommodation due to a disability during the recruitment process, please notify the HR Administrator upon scheduling your interview.
Thank you to all who have expressed interest in this position, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.