To plan, develop and deliver the Language Instruction for Newcomers to Canada Program to a class of senior immigrants (CLB 1 /2).
Reports to: Manager of Newcomer Services
- Assess and identify learners’ needs; plan and facilitate a curriculum for assigned program within the framework of LINC Curriculum Guidelines and Canadian Language Benchmarks
- Report on learners’ progress and evaluate the program regularly with the learners to assess if it is meeting their language and integration needs
- Work collaboratively with a team of instructors and settlement workers
- Keep up-to-date on materials, resources and tools of teaching English as a second language
- Maintain accurate program records and statistics and prepare lesson plans and required reports in a timely manner
- Actively participate in and prepare for regular team and individual supervision meetings with the Program Manager
- Assist in outreach activities and the recruitment, placement and referral of LINC clients as needed
- Assist the Program Manager in supervising volunteer instructors and TESL students if required
- University graduate (Education and/or Linguistics preferred) plus TESL Ontario certified
- Minimum 2 years of experience in teaching English as a second language
- Experience in second language acquisition curriculum development, assessment and evaluation, including Portfolio Based Language Assessment (PBLA)
- Knowledge of CLB framework, learner assessment tools and placement guidelines
- Demonstrated experience and willingness to teach a variety of English levels including multi-level and split-level classes
- Proven ability and experience working in a multicultural organization serving diverse ethno-cultural communities
- Demonstrated sensitivity to the needs of adult immigrants and refugees
- Ability to work well independently and as part of a strong team
- Excellent English communication and interpersonal skills
- Experience in incorporating technology in class is an asset
This is a part-time Union postion.
Hours: 9 hours/week from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 noon
Schedule: Monday, Tueday and Thursday
Hourly rate: $35.93 per hour
Location: 340 College St. Toronto
How to apply:
Please submit your resume and cover letter to:
The Hiring Committee
St. Stephen's Community House
91 Bellevue Avenue
Toronto, Ontario M5T 2N8
St. Stephen’s Community House is committed to diversity, equity and accessibility in accommodating applicants with disabilities throughout the hiring process, in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). The Human Resources Administrator (firstname.lastname@example.org) will make every reasonable effort to accommodate the needs of applicants requesting accommodation at any stage of hiring process.
St. Stephen’s is committed to a workforce that is reflective of the communities we serve. Thank you to all applicants but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.