Who we are:
Indus Community Services is an accredited, not-for-profit community benefit organization that has served local communities for over three decades. We are a registered charity, supported by our donors and by all three levels of government. Through our professional staff, we are a leader in the provision of culturally responsive services to newcomers, families, women & seniors.
Vision: Leaders in building strong and supportive communities.
Mission: Supporting our growing communities to manage change through quality client-centered social & health services and responsive public education.
Under the general guidance of the Manager, and in collaboration with other Life Enrichment Staff the incumbent will be responsible for the planning, coordination, and implementation of daily activities and programs for Adult Day (ADS) program participants. Life Enrichment Staff will be assigned as the primary worker to support individual program participants’ successful experience and shall demonstrate skills that reflect the organization’s ethics, integrity and excellence standards in promoting a client centered philosophy.
Responsibilities and Duties: (but not limited to)
- Under the guidance of the Recreation Specialist, responsible for the planning and delivery of culturally sensitive, language specific activities for frail, elderly and/or cognitively impaired program
- Participate in and on a rotating basis take the lead for developing the master schedule ensuring that a balance of programming is planned for each subgroup in the program (cognitive, physical, interests, language and other subsets)
- Design activities based on program participant’s interests, capabilities and consistent with individual care
- Actively seek information about program participant’s experience to adjust the daily plan for each, and to adjust the quality of activities and events in the
- Facilitate program to maximize program participant engagement, provide opportunities for participation in programs and activities and provide leadership opportunities to program
- Responsible for leading a set of programs in the master schedule as
- Identify supplies needed, ensure they are available and in good condition
- Develop full cycle program plans including list of supplied/items required to meet program and programming needs and submit in advance to the Manager for review and
- Responsible for supporting assigned areas of the master schedule; e.g. entertainment booking, equipment maintenance, trip coordination
- In conjunction with other Life Enrichment Staff, plan clusters to maximize program participant involvement in the program.
- Review new program participant profiles prior to their first attendance day and orientate the new participant to the program.
- Responsible for monitoring and facilitating an equal portion of the program participant mix in coordination with other Life Enrichment Staff, ensuring participants’ needs including changing needs are identified and effectively
- Complete Recreation Interests questionnaire with new program participants within six weeks of admission and share the information with other program staff
- Identify service needs such as foot care or bathing services and notify Client Care
- Complete all required documentation including any changes in program participant’s
- Support and assist the Client Care Counsellor in identifying and addressing assigned program participant’s needs in a timely
- Review and update care plans on a regular schedule
- Assist program participants with feeding, toileting and personal care as a backup to the Personal Support
- Participate in daily communication for problem solving related to program participant needs
- Ensure the safety and security of program participants at all times
- Prepare and submit statistical and progress reports as
- Ensure effective communication with all program participants, caregivers, staff, student placements and
- Train and supervise volunteers and oversee student placements as
- Participate in staff and team meetings, and professional development opportunities as
- Adopt safe work practices, reporting unsafe conditions
- Perform other duties as
Qualifications and Skills:
- Post-secondary education in Recreational Therapy, Gerontology, Social Work, and/or a Health related field with gerontology focus and/or working in a community health care environment or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Direct experience working with frail, elderly and/or cognitively impaired seniors and knowledge of their unique
- Demonstrated experience and skills in working with the frail, elderly and cognitively
- Experience with activation techniques with the ability to continually motivate program
- Must have experience in program planning, and demonstrated dynamic leadership skills in a group
- Knowledge of a broad range of social, health and community services available in the
- Demonstrated organizational and interpersonal
- Self-directed, self-motivated with a positive attitude and be able to work independently and as part of a
- Ability to prioritize, multi-task and shift approaches and priorities quickly in response to program participants’ needs and
- Excellent oral and written English skills are required and one or more South Asian
- Proficiency in MS Office, Email and internet
- Sensitivity to people from different socio-economic backgrounds with an equity
- Ability to work flexible hours including occasional evenings, weekends and to work from any Indus work-site.
- Police Vulnerable Sector Check will be
- Current CPR and First aid certification will be
Compensation: $20.57 per hour
Interested candidates are invited to submit their application, including a complete resume of qualifications and experience, electronically to email@example.com by 12:00pm, January 19th, 2021. Please ensure your application email has the subject heading of “Life Enrichment Staff” - (insert your name)’
This job posting is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other related duties to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
Indus Community Services is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to establishing a qualified workforce that is reflective of the diverse populations we serve. We are committed to accommodating people with disabilities as part of our hiring process. If you have special requirements, please advise Human Resources during the recruitment process. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals; however, only those under consideration will be contacted. No phone calls please.