The ELT program combines advanced level workplace language training (Canadian Language Benchmark Levels 6+) with online sector specific terminology training and possibility of workplace exposure for internationally trained and experienced individuals (ITI). This program adopts a blended language training approach, which delivers both the workplace language training and the sector specific terminology training online. The ELT instructor is responsible for the language instruction training via Zoom and the online sector specific terminology training via Moodle platform.
This is a part time non-Union contract position scheduled to work 19 hours per week (total of 3 cycles)
Online facilitation (Monday from 9:00 a.m. to 2:30: p.m.)
Onsite language classes (Tuesday to Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.)
• Adapt and further develop existing curriculum and teaching materials to CLB 7-9 ELT ITIs.
• Design, implement and instruct face-to-face Canadian Workplace English as a Second Language classes at CLBs 7-9.
• Instruct and facilitate participants’ online learning of sector specific terminology and language usage. Monitor learners’ progress.
• Design a long-range plan and daily lesson plans based on the curriculum and learners’ language needs using a task-based approach.
• Conduct on-going needs assessments of participants.
• Develop a diversity of course materials that meet the objectives of the curriculum and the pre-employment preparation of learners.
• Develop and implement program evaluation tools for on-going and final assessment of learners’ progress. Provide feedback to learners for improvement.
• Provide feedback to program manager and team members for program coordination and adjustment.
• Creates a non-threatening and positive learning environment by acknowledging and respecting the students' existing skills and life experiences.
• Maintain attendance records, participants’ progress reports and other documentation as required.
• TESL Ontario certified.
• Minimum of two (2) years’ experience teaching ESL or LINC at the higher levels.
• Previous experience providing online facilitation or online course delivery. Ability to provide technical troubleshooting will be considered an asset.
• Direct experience with Moodle, virtual seminars or other Online Learning Management Systems will be a definite asset.
• Experience in curriculum design or adaptation for higher levels/pre-employment language training programs.
• Direct experience in one or more of the following sectors will be an asset: Office Communication, Customer Service, Accounting, IT, Teaching and Health Care sectors.
• In depth knowledge of and experience using the Canadian Language Benchmarks and the LINC curriculum guidelines or the Curriculum Guidelines for the Ontario Adult Non-Credit Language Training Program.
• Completion of Portfolio Based Language Assessment (PBLA) will be an asset.
• Knowledge of access to professions issues facing newcomers, job search techniques, employment related vocabulary and professional terminology.
• Experience providing adult instruction using Microsoft Office programs and the Internet.
• Must be fully vaccinated or be exempt from vaccination on human rights grounds. COSTI reserves the right to require information establishing the validity of the exemption.
LOCATION: 10 Gillingham Drive, Suite 109A Brampton ON
DURATION: July 25, 2022 to Sept 23, 2022
Oct 17, 2022 to Dec 14, 2022
Jan 30, 2023 to Mar 30, 2023
RATE OF PAY: $37.06 per hour
POSTING DATE: June 21, 2022
CLOSING DATE: July 5, 2022
Priority consideration will be given to those on Notice of Recall.
How to apply:
Qualified candidates are invited to submit their resumes and cover letters as one file, quoting reference # 139-22 to the below link: https://creg.costi.ca/ui/hr/resume.aspx?refno=139-22