Indus Community Services is an accredited, not-for-profit community benefit organization that has served local communities for over three decades. We are a registered charity, supported by our donors and by all three levels of government. Through our professional staff, we are a leader in the provision of culturally responsive services to newcomers, families, women & seniors.
To be leaders in building strong and inclusive communities.
We are a community benefit organization focused on building resilient and healthy communities by offering person-centered, anti-oppressive programs and services.
Under the guidance of the Manager - Employment Programs, the Job Developer & Employment Counsellor is responsible for building relationships with and marketing Indus’ employment and training programs to employers, the local community and agency partners. The incumbent is responsible for obtaining employment opportunities, developing and maintaining employer databases, and arranging job matching and placement and supporting job retention, to achieve program targets.
Responsibilities and Duties: (but not limited to)
• Market Indus’ employment programs and services and effectively recruit relevant employers and community and agency partners.
• Assist employers to identify their human resources needs including job requirements, skills and competencies.
• Work with prospective employers to educate, evaluate and understand international credentials and work experience.
• Develop mentoring opportunities and paid and unpaid employment opportunities that meet clients’ skills, capabilities, interests and experience.
• Assess employer’s workplace capacity to provide positive work experiences and workplace training in a safe, suitable environment, as needed.
• Provide employers with information on the local labour force and support for their human resource planning, recruitment and workplace training.
• Develop, plan and facilitate workshops to enhance clients’ employment skills, facilitate their labour market integration and manage job maintenance issues.
• Conduct exit interviews with employers for feedback on services provided, to determine future employment and on-the-job training opportunities.
• Develop and maintain a comprehensive employer database including eligibility, site visits, employer profiles and all other relevant data.
• Conduct ongoing research of and outreach to employers, community resources and programs.
• Analyze and evaluate labour market information on a regular and consistent basis.
• Provide support to clients and employers at regular intervals, including problem solving, managing expectations and identifying next steps, assessing progress and recording outcomes.
• Interview clients to identify barriers to employment and obtain employment history, educational background, career goals etc., to assess their employment related needs.
• Provide one-on-one employment counseling with résumé and cover letter critique, interview preparation, job search techniques and career exploration.
• Guide clients in developing infographic resumes, setting up LinkedIn profiles and/or developing a social media presence for career networking.
• Present group workshops on employment related topics such as career exploration, labour market research, personality dimensions, workplace culture, job search strategies and essential/life skills.
• Research and compile labour market information for clients regarding job openings and skill requirements.
• Assist clients in the use of resources and technology for job search activities.
• Maintain a detailed case file for each client from intake assessment to completion of service, with details of assessment, service provided and outcomes at each step.
• Organize career development workshops, speed mentoring and networking events, job fairs and other career related events.
• Responsible for ensuring that workshops, networking events, job fairs and other career related events are well attended by conducting extensive outreach to internal and external clients, partner agencies and the broader community.
• Develop intake and assessment tools, documented client follow-up process and other relevant documentation.
• Conduct program evaluation by collecting feedback from participants, service providers, employers and other stakeholders.
• In conjunction with the Manager – Employment Programs:
• Assist in the coordination, planning and delivery of training programs.
• Liaise and coordinate with external and internal program partners.
• Assist in the development of occupation specific curriculums (in consultation with internal and external personnel).
• Lead the development and facilitation of:
• Needs assessments and focus groups to ensure appropriate program design.
• Orientation sessions, workshops and materials for targeted audiences.
• Job fairs, employer networking events, bridging and mentorship programs.
• Organize relevant presentations to enhance participants’ knowledge and skills to complement and support their training needs.
• Assist in sourcing and purchasing required items, equipment and setup of the program rooms.
• Ensure accurate data inputs into iCARE and Caseworks database.
• Compile statistical reports and documentation as required by funders and the organization.
• Participate in staff and team meetings, and professional development opportunities as required.
• Adopt safe work practices, reporting unsafe conditions immediately.
• Perform other duties as required.
Qualifications and Skills:
• Post-Secondary education in Career and Work Counselling, Sales and Marketing, Business and/or 5 years of directly related work experience preferably in sales and marketing and employment programs.
• Thorough knowledge of all facets of job search and career development, bridging programs, workplace practices, job search strategies and techniques including an understanding of labour market trends and resources.
• Demonstrated knowledge of employment and training resources, labour market information and systemic barriers to employment faced by newcomers and skilled immigrants from diverse educational backgrounds.
• Strong employment coaching, negotiation, mediation and interviewing and presentation skills.
• Ability to meet targets and make cold calls.
• Excellent interpersonal skills and self-management skills to work effectively with clients, co-workers, partner agencies and employers.
• Positive attitude; ability to take responsibility and be accountable; ability to deal with change in the workplace and be innovative; respect for others.
• Excellent English verbal and written communication skills, excellent time management skills with the ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment, diplomatic and tactful conflict resolution and problem-solving abilities.
• Must be proficient in MS Office applications; Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook and Internet and databases.
• Demonstrated experience in case and file management.
• Ability to work in a culturally diverse environment and a strong understanding of inclusive and equitable service delivery.
• Ability to work flexible hours including evenings, weekends and to work from any one of the agency’s sites.
• Valid Driver’s License with reliable transportation.
• Successful candidates must provide a satisfactory Criminal Background Check prior to commencing employment and ICARE Clearance will be required.
• It is a condition of employment that employees provide proof that they are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 prior to the start date of employment. Applicants who have appropriate written proof of a medical reason, or a reason pursuant to the Ontario Human Rights Code, for not being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 may provide such documentation to the Human Resources department. Such situations will be considered on a case-by-case basis in compliance with Indus' legal obligations.
This job posting is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other related duties to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
Indus Community Services is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to establishing a qualified workforce that is reflective of the diverse populations we serve. We are committed to accommodating people with disabilities as part of our hiring process. If you have special requirements, please advise Human Resources during the recruitment process. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals; however, only those under consideration will be contacted. No phone calls please.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their application, including a complete resume of qualifications and experience, electronically to email@example.com by 12:00pm, August 22, 2022. Please ensure your application email has the subject heading of “Job Developer & Employment Counsellor” - (insert your name)’