With 37 years of operations, Skills for Change is a highly respected non-profit with a province-wide reputation for pioneering programs that respond to shifting immigration and workplace trends and lead to employment. Skills for Change provides multi-sited employment, job skills, career exploration through mentoring and entrepreneurship, job development, and language and settlement programs and services throughout the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Areas.
Program Nature and Scope:
Working alongside the Human Resources Officer and the Program Management team, this position focuses on a wide range of Human Resource administrative duties.
Recruitment and On-Boarding
- Participates in the full recruitment cycle (including identification of staffing needs, job posting creation, candidate screening, etc) and resource planning to ensure staffing requirements are met in an effective and timely manner
- Maintains employee handbook and participates in the on-boarding process to foster a positive attitude toward organizational objectives
- Coordinates with the Program Management team to ensure accurate HR administration of new hires, departures, transfers, absence management, training records etc.
Employee Egagement and Development
- Participates in the development and delivery of employee engagement initiatives across the agency
- Provides basic guidance, and solutions to employee inquiries on various HR-related issues
- Prepares Power Point presentations related to Human Resources lunch and learn employee training sessions
- Organizes internal and external professional development training workshops, as required
- Interprets and provides guidance to staff on the collective agreement, agency policies, and new government legislation
- Confirms employment verification inquiries and drafts letters
- Performs research, bench-marking, data gathering, reporting and presentation of options and recommendations on HR related projects
- Provides general administrative support including staff announcements, organizational charts and document distribution
- Administers the agency Group benefits and Group RRSP program
- Attends and records minutes during HR Committee and Health and Safety Committee Meetings
- Performs a wide range of filing and/or reporting work as required
- May perform other related duties as assigned
- Strong customer service focus, with excellent communication skills for dealing with a wide range of individuals
- Excellent ability to juggle multiple priorities while adhering to processes and deadlines
- Independent and self-motivated, with the ability to take the initiative in liaising with other departments and/or external resources
- Analytical and problem solving skills
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality
- College diploma in Human Resources or a related field
- And/or currently enrolled in a post-secondary institution
- And/or relevant direct experience working with newcomers, equity seeking communities
- Ability to secure a Police Vulnerable Sector Check is mandatory and must be provided prior to starting employment
Contract length: Between 6 to 12 weeks
Hours: Between 30 to 35 hours per week (Monday- Friday, with occasional evening and/or weekend hours)
How to apply:
Please submit a resume and cover letter by May 30, 2019 to:
Skills for Change offers accommodation for applicants with disabilities in each stage of the hiring process. If you are contacted regarding a job opportunity, please advise if you require accommodation. This document is available in alternate format on request.
The agency provides learning and training opportunities for immigrants, refugees and equity seeking groups to access and fully participate in the workplace and wider community to persons with disabilities to newcomers to Canada (including refugees) to Indigenous peoples to members of a visible minority to children or youth to seniors to the LGBTQ2 community.
Thank you to all applicants for their interest in this position however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.