COSTI REQUIRES HOUSING COUNSELLORS FOR ITS
COSTI is a multicultural organization providing social services, settlement, employment, and language training services. For more information about COSTI, please visit our website at www.costi.org.
This is a non-Union contract position scheduled to work 35 hours per week**
• Conducts housing search in and outside of Toronto for refugee claimants.
• If needed escorts clients to housing appointments and advocates on their behalf.
• Secures appropriate and affordable housing for refugees within a timeframe.
• Provide support to clients in negotiating and finalizing housing leases
• Recruits housing providers and maintains a housing data bank/registry of housing providers.
• Provides crisis support and intervention as required.
• Mentoring volunteers to assist with housing search and escorting of clients.
• Maintains program and statistical information in COSTI’s database and prepares reports.
• Conducts housing orientation sessions to ensure that client understands rights and responsibilities of tenants and landlords.
• Liaises and consults with other professionals and organizations.
• Social Service Worker Diploma or equivalent with relevant practicum experience.
• Minimum of one (1) year experience working within the Housing Help Sector.
• Previous experience working with working with refugees, survivors of torture, persecution, war or abuse.
• Must be able to speak at least one of the following languages: Arabic, French, Amharic, Tigrinya, Spanish, Somali and Farsi.
• Previous case management experience.
• Knowledge of specific issues facing resettled refugees in general and the Resettlement Assistance Program more specifically.
• Knowledge of settlement and housing related services and resources, with an emphasis on the services and resources that exist within the Greater Toronto Area.
• Knowledge of Internet, Email and Windows software e.g. Microsoft Office Suite.
• Demonstrated experience in data-entry, documentation and reporting.
• Excellent communication, organization and coordination skills.
• Must be able to travel within the GTA to multiple locations using public transportation. Access to a vehicle is considered an asset.
**Hours of work shall be scheduled in accordance with Article 12.01and shall consist of five (5) seven (7) hour days, Monday to Friday.
LOCATION: Hwy 404 and Sheppard Avenue, North York
DURATION: June 11, 2018 to December 31, 2018
STARTING SALARY RANGE: $24.98 to $26.89 per hour
POSTING DATE: May 16, 2018
CLOSING DATE: May 30, 2018
Priority consideration will be given to those on Notice of Recall.
Subject to the response of those on Notice of Recall this position may be open to Union members on secondment basis.
Qualified candidates are invited to submit their resumes and cover letters, quoting reference #79-18, to:
Manager, Staffing and Orientation
COSTI Immigrant Services
1710 Dufferin Street
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Fax: 416.658.8537