COSTI is a multicultural organization providing settlement, employment and language training services. For more information about COSTI, please visit our website at www.costi.org
Shelter Services provide short-term accommodation and support services for vulnerable populations including Refugee Claimants
- Conducts housing search in and outside of Toronto for refugee claimants
- If needed escorts clients to housing appointments and advocates on their behalf
- Secures appropriate and affordable housing for refugees within a timeframe
- Provide support to clients in negotiating and finalising housing leases
- Recruits housing providers and maintains a housing data bank/registry of housing providers
- Provides crisis support and intervention as required
- Mentoring volunteers to assist with housing search and escorting of clients
- Maintains program and statistical information in COSTI’s database and prepares reports
- Conducts housing orientation sessions to ensure that client understands rights and responsibilities of tenants and landlords
- Liaises and consults with other professionals and organizations.
- Social Service Worker Diploma or equivalent with relevant practicum experience
- Minimum of one (1) year experience working within the Housing Help Sector
- Previous experience working with working with refugees, survivors of torture, persecution, war or abuse
- Must be able to speak at least one of the following languages: Arabic, French, Amharic, Tigrinya, Hungarian, Somali, Farsi, and Urdu
- Previous case management experience
- Knowledge of specific issues facing resettled refugees in general and the Resettlement Assistance Program more specifically
- Knowledge of settlement and housing related services and resources, with an emphasis on the services and resources that exist within the Greater Toronto Area
- Knowledge of Internet, Email and Windows software e.g. Microsoft Office Suite
- Demonstrated experience in data-entry, documentation and reporting
- Excellent communication, organization and coordination skills
- Must be able to travel within the GTA to multiple locations using public transportation. Access to a vehicle is considered an asset
This position is a non-union contract position, scheduled to work 35 hours per week
Duration: January 29, 2018 to December 31, 2018
Salary range: $44,847 to 48,268 per annum+ benefits
Location: Hwy 401 and Victoria Park, Scarborough
Priority consideration will be given to those on Notice of Recall.
Subject to the response of those on Notice of Recall this position may be open to Union members on a secondment basis.
How to apply:
If you are interested, please quote Reference #9-18 and send your resume with a cover letter to:
Mr. Michael Politi
Manager, Staffing & Orientation
COSTI Immigrant Services
1710 Dufferin Street Toronto, M6E 3P2
COSTI encourages applications from individuals reflecting the diversity of our community. COSTI is committed to fair and accessible employment practices and when requested, will make reasonable effort to accommodate people with disabilities during the recruitment and assessment processes when filling positions.
Thank you to all applicants for their interest in COSTI. However, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No telephone inquiries please.