North York Community House (NYCH) is a dynamic neighbourhood centre that has been working with residents of northwest Toronto for over 26 years. We are committed to building strong, vibrant communities, and supporting local residents, new Canadians, parents and children, youth and seniors to meet and achieve their goals. NYCH believes that all the community members we serve have the strength and ability to succeed – our role is to help them get there.
The After-School Support Facilitator (Supply) provides planning and program support for the Get Moving! Program for children ages 6 to 12 years old with a focus on healthy active living. This program aims to improve health issues of newcomer children and youth by focusing on physical activity, healthy eating, and wellness education. In addition, homework assistance, excursions and arts-based activities are planned for its participants.
Reports to: Manager, Community Connections
- Assist lead staff to plan, develop and ensure activities are carried out that are culturally sensitive and appropriate for the physical, intellectual, and social development for children (ages 6- 12)
- Assist lead staff in planning and supervision of field trips/outings
- Attend to the physical and emotional needs of each participant
- Supervise participants at all times, and respond to emergency situations quickly and appropriately
- Work with other agency staff and community partners in implementing program activities and events
- Liaise with parents around program information, and respond to any questions or concerns
- Ensure awareness and understanding of program schedule, plans and requirements
- Program/activity preparation, purchase program supplies, set up and clean up
- Support in the preparation and serving of nutritional snacks to children
- Assist with program outreach activities
- Participate in NYCH trainings and meetings as required
- Additional support and duties as required
- Completion of, or working towards, post-secondary education in health, education, psychology, social work or related field and/or comparable work experience
- Current CPR and First Aid certification
Experience and Skills
- Must be available to work on weekdays between the hours of 1:30 p.m. to 6.00 p.m.
- Minimum 2 years demonstrated experience in facilitating programs for school aged children including components of providing homework help, creative arts and sports/physical activities
- Experience working with children and families from diverse cultures within an anti-discriminatory framework
- Passionate, energetic and committed to the healthy development of children
- Highly motivated, positive attitude and ability to work well in a team
- Responsible, dependable and punctual, with ability to communicate timely with staff/supervisor
- Detail oriented with strong organizational skills
- Good problem solving/conflict resolution skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills (a second language is an asset)
- An updated police reference check will be required upon employment
Start and end dates: April 2019 to June 2019
Hours: No minimum hours per week, hours are offered on an as needed basis.
Salary Range: $16.00/hour
Location: Location: School sites (Weston and Lawrence area, Jane and Wilson/Sheppard area)
How to apply:
Please submit cover letter and resume by 5:00 p.m. on Friday, March 29, 2019 to:
Get Moving! After-School Program Support Facilitator (Supply) - Hiring Committee
North York Community House
700 Lawrence Ave. West, Suite 226
North York, ON M6A 3B4
NYCH is committed to creating an inclusive and diverse workplace and encourages applications from marginalized communities. Additionally, accommodation will be provided as required throughout the interview and employment process. If you require accommodation, please let us know in advance and we will work with you to meet your needs
Thank you to all candidates for their interest, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.