COSTI is a multicultural organization providing settlement, employment, and language training services. For more information about COSTI, please visit our website at www.costi.org.
Shelter Services provide short-term accommodation and support services for vulnerable populations including Refugee Claimants
- Provides initial intake and needs assessments to Refugee Claimants
- Provides supportive counselling as well as follow-up services in special needs cases
- Works one on one with clients to ensure they are well informed about the refugee claimant process and receiving the entitled supports and services
- Provides information and referral for legal support, income support (OW), work permit, language classes, health services etc.
- Delivers orientation sessions on settlement related topics
- Advocates and case consults with other social service organizations and service providers
- Provides crisis intervention as required e.g. in cases of family violence
- Documents records of services and activities in COSTI’s data base system and prepares necessary reports
- Refers clients to community & social service agencies for additional settlement and legal services.
- Social Services Worker diploma or equivalent with relevant practicum experience
- Minimum of nine (9) months experience providing initial settlement counselling
- Must be able to speak at least one of the following languages: Arabic, French, Amharic, Tigrinya, Hungarian, Somali, Farsi, and Urdu
- Demonstrated experience providing services in the following areas; wife and child abuse, resettlement and victims of torture, war and displacement
- Previous case management experience
- Knowledge of specific issues facing resettled refugees in general and the Resettlement Assistance Program more specifically
- Ability to negotiate and advocate with mainstream society and able to intervene during crisis
- Demonstrated experience in data-entry, documentation and reporting
- Knowledge of Internet, Email and Windows software e.g. Microsoft Office Suite.
- Excellent communication, organization and coordination skills
- Possession of a current First Aid/CPR training certificate would be an asset
This position is a non-union contract position, scheduled to work 35 hours per week
Duration: January 29, 2018 to December 31, 2018
Salary range: $47,651 to $51,287 per annum + benefits
Location: Hwy 401 and Victoria Park, Scarborough
Priority consideration will be given to those on Notice of Recall.
Subject to the response of those on Notice of Recall this position may be open to Union members on a secondment basis.
How to apply:
If you are interested, please quote Reference #7-18 and send your resume with a cover letter by January 19, 2018 to:
Mr. Michael Politi
Manager, Staffing and Orientation
COSTI Immigrant Services
1710 Dufferin Street
Toronto, M6E 3P2
COSTI encourages applications from individuals reflecting the diversity of our community. COSTI is committed to fair and accessible employment practices and when requested, will make reasonable effort to accommodate people with disabilities during the recruitment and assessment processes when filling positions.
Thank you to all applicants for their interest in COSTI. However, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No telephone inquiries please.
Thank you to all applicants but only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.