COSTI is a multicultural organization providing social services, settlement, employment, and language training services. For more information, please visit our website at www.costi.org.
Shelter Services provide short-term accommodation and support services for vulnerable populations including Refugee Claimants.
This is a non-Union position scheduled to work 35 hours per week.
- Provides initial intake and needs assessments to Refugee Claimants
- Provides supportive counselling as well as follow-up services in special needs cases
- Works one on one with clients to ensure they are well informed about the refugee claimant process and receiving the entitled supports and services
- Provides information and referral for legal support, income support (OW), work permit, language classes, health services etc
- Delivers orientation sessions on settlement related topics
- Advocates and case consults with other social service organizations and service providers
- Provides crisis intervention as required e.g. in cases of family violence
- Documents records of services and activities in COSTI’s data base system and prepares necessary reports
- efers clients to community & social service agencies for additional settlement and legal services
- Social Services Worker diploma or equivalent with relevant practicum experience
- Minimum of nine (9) months experience providing initial settlement counselling
- Preference will be given to those who speak any of the following languages: Arabic, French, Amharic, Tigrigna, Hungarian, Somali, Farsi, and Spanish
- Demonstrated experience providing services in the following areas; wife and child abuse, resettlement and victims of torture, war and displacement
- Previous case management experience
- Knowledge of specific issues facing resettled refugees in general
- Ability to negotiate and advocate with mainstream society and able to intervene during crisis
- Demonstrated experience in data-entry, documentation and reporting
- Knowledge of Internet, Email and Windows software e.g. Microsoft Office Suite
- Excellent communication, organization and coordination skills
- Possession of a current First Aid/CPR training certificate would be an asset
Duration: December 1, 2018 to March 29, 2019
Starting salary range: $26.54 to $28.57 per hour
Location: Hwy 401 and Victoria Park Ave
How to apply:
Qualified candidates are invited to submit their resumes and cover letters, quoting reference #143-18, to:
Manager, Staffing and Orientation
COSTI Immigrant Services
1710 Dufferin Street
Toronto, Ontario M6E 3P2
Thank you to all applicants. However, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.