Muslim Community Services (MCS) is a group of diverse professionals dedicated to enhancing newcomer community engagement. Our agency was established in 1987 as a non-profit organization to serve and work with newcomers to facilitate their settlement and integration into Canada. We offer a wide range of services and learning opportunities to connect newcomers to a better future in the ever changing Canadian society. Your position as a French Instructor is to provide language training to newcomers using innovative methods in conjunction with the curriculum.
- Teach classes in compliance with CLIC Curriculum Guidelines and Canadian Language Benchmarks (CLB), and following PBLA principles
- Design and provide appropriate and motivational lesson plans consistent with accepted teaching methods and the needs of students
- Develop and maintain an anti-biased classroom atmosphere where participants feel welcomed and engaged in learning
- Provide ongoing monitoring of students’ progress according to CLB Requirements
- Combine classroom teaching with computer lab instruction using CLIC educational software and online resources
- Plan PBLA modules, write success stories, and submit monthly reports to your supervisor
- Plan appropriate activities and fieldtrips to complement curriculum activities with your immediate Supervisor and/or Program Coordinator
- Work collaboratively with all CLIC and LINC staff, as well as with CNC staff
- Perform administrative tasks, including but not limited to maintaining students’ attendance, preparing statistical reports, etc. and ensuring they are submitted on time
- Ensure high level of student attendance (at least 80%) and their active participation in class
- Participate in professional development sessions and actively use information to enhance language delivery in class
- Submit daily lesson plans and other forms used in the program in timely manner to Program Coordinator
- Participate in regular MCS staff meetings, as well as in LINC/CLIC staff meetings
- Plan, design and deliver community activities to promote MCS Programs and Services
- Any other duties as assigned by Executive Director and/or ED designate
- Report to Program Manager and/or Program Coordinator
- Post-Secondary Education (Bachelor’s Degree) and a minimum of two years’ experience teaching FSL or CLIC to adults at various levels (Literacy to CLB Level 7)
- Demonstrate sound knowledge of Canadian Language Benchmarks (CLB) and Portfolio Based Language Assessment (PBLA)
- Ability to speak, read and write in a second language is a definite asset
- Excellent verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills
- Awareness of the language and settlement needs of newcomer adult learners
- Culturally sensitive; able to work in a highly culturally diverse work environment
- Ability to work independently with solid time management and organizational skills
- Punctual, reliable, responsible and a good team player
- Computer skills with knowledge of FSL educational software, educational software and online resources, MS Office, Email, Internet, Zoom, Google Classroom and other online platforms
- Flexible to work evenings or week-days, if and when required
- Must have own transportation and a valid driver’s license for job related travel
- Police Record Check for Vulnerable Sector is required as part of the hiring process
- Immediate availability a definite asset
This contract position is scheduled to begin January 15th, until March 31st, 2022 with the possibility of extension.
Working Hours: 5 per week
Location: Peel Region
How to apply:
Please submit your resume along with a cover letter in ONE document (PDF, Word or Rich Text Format) referencing: MCS-JC-0199-French Instructor-Saturdays by December 3rd, 2021 to:
Human Resources Department Muslim Community Services
197 County Court Blvd, Suite 303
Brampton, ON L6W 4P6
MCS is an equal opportunity employer that promotes the principles of diversity and equity, and adheres to the tenets of the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act.
Accommodations are available upon request; all requests must be made to the HR department in advance.
Thank you for applying. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.