The Ontario Council of Agencies Serving Immigrants (OCASI) acts as a collective voice for immigrant and refugee-serving organizations and coordinates response to shared needs and concerns. OCASI is a registered charity governed by a volunteer board of directors. OCASI’s membership is comprised of over 240 community-based organizations in Ontario.
About the Project and Position Summary:
OCASI is holding its Annual Professional Development Conference in October 17-18, 2019. The Professional Development Conference is an opportunity for frontline workers and managers to strengthen organizational capacity -through new learning and sharing knowledge and expertise. The Events Coordinator is responsible for organizing and coordinating all aspects of the conference. The Events Coordinator will work with OCASI management and staff and with the guidance of the Conference Working Group to lead and implement the logistics of the main event.
- Assemble conference working group
- Initiate content development process including a call for workshop proposals
- Fundraise - including financial or in-kind contributions from donors, including conference supplies and materials, refreshments, gifts
- Organize and/or oversee conference related activities and events
- Prepare, monitor and track progress of project budget, deliverables and timing, identifying issues and providing advice on project progression
- Schedule and support frequent meetings of the conference working group
- Regular updates to OCASI’s manager on the status of the project
- Provide administrative support for OCASI and conference working group including setting up meetings, agenda, minutes, any other documents and follow-up
- In collaboration with OCASI management and staff organize and prepare conference package and signage, and organize assembly of conference materials, including name badges, and other materials as required.
- Contribute to a healthy and safe environment for oneself and others and complies with all safe working procedures and instructions including OCASI’s policies and procedures
- Uphold OCASI’s basic principles for the workplace environment including commitments to the needs, directions and concerns of immigrants and refugees and organizations' that serve them.
- Embrace and actively uphold OCASI’s mission, equity, access, anti-racism and anti-operation principles
- Acknowledge, appreciate, and encourage individual differences and value people for their skills, competencies, and contribution to OCASI’s continuing success.
- Coordination and writing of interim and final reports to funder
- Other duties as assigned
- Minimum completion of post-secondary education or equivalent in job related field
- Minimum 3+ years of experience in similar role, working in a non-profit or community based agency in the areas of event planning and conference coordination
- Excellent English written, verbal and editing skills; knowledge of French is an asset
- Familiar with OCASI members, or refugee (and immigrant) focused or serving organizations in Toronto and Ontario
- Excellent communications, organisational and planning skills with attention to details
- Demonstrated experience in project coordination, including project planning, developing work plans, priority setting, keeping track of expenses, writing reports to funders, and evaluation
- Strong computer skills in a Windows environment, standard admin software, internet, desktop publishing, and social media.
- Knowledge of, and experience with RegOnline or other online registration system
- Ability to work both independently and in a team environment
- Well-developed interpersonal, and relationship building skills; ability to establish rapport and excellent communication with members, partners, staff and volunteers
- Strong organizational skills, detail oriented, independent, ability to meet tight deadlines and demanding schedules
- Demonstrated experience utilizing social media tools to promote the conference
- Ability and experience in working under tight deadlines
- Able to work collaboratively with multiple stakeholders
- Good negotiation skills
This is a full-time, 9 month contract position.
Compensation: $50 000/ year prorated, plus benefits package
How to Apply:
Send cover letter and resume by 5:00 p.m. on May 31, 2019 to:
Hiring Committee, OCASI
OCASI is committed to Employment Equity.
Thank you to all applicants for applying. However, we regret that only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No telephone inquiries please.