COSTI is a multicultural organization providing settlement, employment and language training services. For more information about COSTI, please visit our website at www.costi.org.
Shelter Services provide short-term accommodation and support services for vulnerable populations including Refugee Claimants
- Reports to the Centre Manager and work with Counsellors to ensure the smooth operation of the Centre, which includes responding to emergencies
- Responds to client questions with regards to services in the Hostel Services programs and the refugee claimant process
- Provides new arrivals with Centre specific information, including orientation on emergency procedures, house rules, laundry, etc.
- Admits and discharges clients within the Shelter Management Information System (SMIS)
- Ensures the safety of the residents and the implementation of house rules
- Communicates in a timely and professional manner with the facility management regarding any client concerns
- Performs nightly bed checks
- Performs administrative tasks, as required (e.g. replenishing client forms, creating client files, distribution of client mail, answering phone calls, etc.)
- Provide interpretation services, as required
- Social Services Worker Diploma or equivalent with relevant practicum experience
- Experience in a shelter setting working with refugee claimants is an asset
- Knowledge of the refugee claimant process is an asset
- Sensitivity to and aware of the needs of refugees and other newcomers
- Ability to speak one of the following languages is considered an asset: Spanish, Farsi, Tigrinya, Amharic or Arabic
- A valid Driver’s license is an asset
- Demonstrated ability with supportive counselling/crisis management
- Ability to work independently
- Excellent communication, interpersonal skills
This is a non-Union contract position scheduled to work 14 hours per week Saturday and Sunday 3:00 p.m. -12:00 a.m.
Duration: June 3, 2019 to December 31, 2019
Starting salary: $21.24 to $22.86 per hour
Location: Hwy 404 and Sheppard
How to Apply:
If you are interested, please quote Reference 55-19 and send your resume with a cover letter to:
Manager, Staffing & Orientation
COSTI Immigrant Services
1710 Dufferin Street
Toronto, Ontario M6E 3P2
COSTI encourages applications from individuals reflecting the diversity of our community. COSTI is committed to fair and accessible employment practices and when requested, will make reasonable effort to accommodate people with disabilities during the recruitment and assessment processes when filling positions.
Thank you to all applicants for their interest in COSTI. However, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No telephone inquiries please.