North York Community House (“NYCH”) has been serving the residents of northwest Toronto for over 26 years. We are committed to working with people by supporting newcomers in settling and integrating into the community; offering programs that build skills, leadership and community connections; providing information and referral services; strengthening neighbourhoods by working with residents; and supporting the positive development of children, youth and families.
NYCH's employment readiness activities support newcomers in developing the skills and connections they need to succeed in the Canadian workforce. This includes a combination of assessment and goal setting, training and development, professional mentorship, and one-on-one coaching.
Reports To: Manager, Integrated Development
Employment Readiness Activity Development and Implementation
- Conducts outreach for program participants, and makes connection with other NYCH frontline staff (e.g. settlement workers) to get referral
- Interviews newcomer clients to assess employment readiness, identify barriers to employment, and to develop employment plan including steps to achieve goals
- Designs and facilitates appropriate employment readiness activities for newcomers around issues such as workplace culture, labour market information and expectations, customer service, mock interviews, and employment services and resources
- Refers clients to mentorship programs and networking opportunities to facilitate participants’ learning and connections to Canadian labour market
- Supports newcomer clients in developing cover letters, resumes, job interview skills, etc.
- Supports newcomer clients in soft skills development, including communication skills, public speaking skills, customer services skills, etc.
- Works with NYCH's staff in different locations (schools and libraries) to support the development and implementation of employment readiness programs for newcomer parents and youth
- Works with other employment agencies to build partnership, collaborates with them for employment events and workshops, and brings in resources for clients
- Works with corporate partners and others outside the sector to arrange workplace tours or employment information sessions for participant
- Follows up with participants around achieving goals, settling in to new work environments, other requirements for long term success
- Participates in committees and coalitions around community-based employment support
- Researches and identifies appropriate resources and services for newcomers who have needs for self-employment and entrepreneurship
Program Evaluation and Administration
- Maintains/enters and submits records and evaluative data around participant progress and program outcomes
- Participates in team and broader NYCH training and activities as required
- Represents NYCH at community and employment-related events, committee meetings, etc.
- Completes and submits program timesheets, program expenses and receipts, and other administrative forms on a timely basis
- The minimum level of education is a degree/diploma in social services or career/employment counseling.
Experience and Skills
- Minimum 2 years’ experience providing employment support, preferably to newcomers to Canada
- Knowledge of issues/barriers facing newcomers to Canada
- Familiarity with newcomers’ needs around employments
- Strong understanding of current job markets and resources in Toronto, and Canadian workplace culture
- Experience working with people from diverse cultures, professional and educational backgrounds
- Excellent teamwork, networking and partnership development skills
- Strong experience in providing one-on-one support and coaching
- Demonstrated skills in development and facilitation of group training sessions
- Excellent communication skills in English, written and verbal; other languages an asset
- Solid computer skills, specifically with Microsoft Office, cloud applications, and social media
- Requires flexibility around schedule to work occasional evenings and weekends. Requires regular travel within North York/northwest Toronto
- A successful clearance of criminal record verification will be required when necessary for the position.
Start Date: June 2019
Annual Salary: $44,000 - $46,000
Hours: 35 hours/week
Location: Bathurst-Finch Hub, other NYCH sites
How to Apply:
Please submit cover letter and resume by Thursday, May 22, 2019 at 5:00 p.m. to:
Employment Support Worker - Hiring Committee
North York Community House
Thank you to all applicants, however, only those candidates to be interviewed will be contacted. No phone calls please.