Immigrants Working Centre is seeking an experienced, bilingual Employment Specialist/Job Developer to work support newcomers to Canada in their path to economic integration.
Perform the full range of duties associated with Employment Counselling, Case Management and Job Development including, but not limited to:
- Using tools assess clients’ employment and skills-development related needs for the development of individual employment action plans
- Assisting clients to develop job search skills and job search strategies
- Assessing need for additional assistance such as financial aid and/or further vocational training/skills upgrading and make appropriate referrals
- Providing solutions-based counselling in the areas of job search, job placement, career decision making, job maintenance, or other identified employment needs
- Providing up-to-date labour market information
- Assisting clients with resume and cover letter writing, interview preparation and other job search activities as needed
- Assist clients in the use of resources and technology for job search activities
- Delivery of employment related workshops, seminars to clients as needed
- Collecting labour market information regarding job openings, entry and skill requirements and other occupational information
- Making cold calls to potential employers, liaising and developing relationships with employers in industries aligned with clients’ career and employment goals.
- Marketing the skills and experiences of ready-to-work clients to employers, aiming to achieve employment outcomes.
- Conducting outreach to clients and employers and the community to promote program and services
- Attending industry related networking events and representing IWC on community committees
- Liaise with other employment and job development services, accrediting bodies, professional associations, government departments and other social, employment and community agencies as needed to facilitate clients’ progress
- Degree or post graduate certificate in Career Counselling/Career Development Practitioner plus one year experience in Career Counselling and Job Development OR
- Social Service Worker/Counsellor certification with a minimum of 4 years direct experiences delivering Employment Counselling and Job Development
- Fluency in English and French is required
- Extensive and up-to-date knowledge of local labour market trends and needs
- Ability to analyze, evaluate and interpret collected information to assist in targeting the most suitable employment based on clients’ experience, education, and existing labour market factors
- Results oriented and able to meet targets and goals
- Strong presentation skills, able to communicate confidently and effectively with employers and clients
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, negotiate and apply marketing techniques to attract and engage employers
- Valid Ontario driver’s license and access to a vehicle
- Awareness of cultural diversity & sensitivity, anti-racism and anti-oppression theory
- Excellent cross cultural skills
How to apply:
Submit a resume and cover letter by 11:59 p.m. on March 31, 2019 to:
The Hiring Committee
Applicants are encouraged to submit their applications as soon as possible. Interviews may begin before the application deadlines.
Immigrants Working Centre encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process
Thank you to all candidates for their interest, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.