Indus Community Services is an accredited, not-for-profit community benefit organization that has served local communities for over three decades. We are a registered charity, supported by our donors and by all three levels of government. Through our professional staff, we are a leader in the provision of culturally responsive services to newcomers, families, women & seniors.
To be leaders in building strong and inclusive communities.
We are a community benefit organization focused on building resilient and healthy communities by offering person-centered, anti-oppressive programs and services.
Under the guidance of the Manager, the Employment Counsellor will provide comprehensive employment-focused needs assessment with the goal of providing clients with the knowledge and skills to better understand the strategies & next steps in their job search process and assist clients in navigating employment programs.
Responsibilities and Duties: (but not limited to)
* Interview clients to identify barriers to employment and obtain employment history, educational background, career goals etc., to assess their employment related needs.
* Provide one-on-one employment counseling with résumé and cover letter critique, interview preparation, job search techniques and career exploration.
* Guide clients in developing infographic resumes, setting up LinkedIn profiles and/or developing a social media presence for career networking.
* Present group workshops on employment related topics such as career exploration, résumé and cover letter writing, interview preparation, job search strategies and essential/life skills.
* Research and compile labour market information for clients regarding job openings and skill requirements.
* Assist clients in the use of resources and technology for job search activities.
* Maintain a detailed case file for each client from intake assessment to completion of service, with details of assessment, service provided and outcomes at each step.
* In conjunction with the Employment Services team:
* Organize career development workshops, networking events, job fairs and other career related events.
* Responsible for ensuring that workshops, networking events, job fairs and other career related events are well attended by conducting extensive outreach to internal and external clients, partner agencies and the broader community.
* Develop intake and assessment tools, documented client follow-up process and other relevant documentation.
* Conduct program evaluation by collecting feedback from participants, service providers, employers and other stakeholders.
* Compile statistical reports and documentation as required by funders and the organization.
* Participate in staff and team meetings, and professional development opportunities as required.
* Adopt safe work practices, reporting unsafe conditions immediately.
* Perform other duties as required.
Qualifications and Skills:
* Post-Secondary education in Career and Work Counselling, Adult Education and/or 5 years of directly related work experience preferably in employment programs.
* Thorough knowledge of all facets of job search and career development, workplace practices, job search strategies and techniques including an understanding of labour market trends and resources.
* Thorough understanding of the barriers facing newcomers and skilled immigrants from diverse educational backgrounds.
* Demonstrated ability to conduct outreach/marketing of clients and services to employers.
* Excellent English verbal and written communication skills, excellent time management skills with the ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment, diplomatic and tactful conflict resolution and problem-solving abilities.
* Excellent interpersonal skills and self-management skills to work effectively with clients, co-workers, partner agencies and employers.
* Excellent presentation and facilitation skills.
* Successful project planning, implementing and marketing experience.
* Must be Proficient in MS Office Applications; Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook and Internet and databases.
* Demonstrated experience in case and file management.
* Positive attitude; ability to take responsibility and be accountable; ability to deal with change in the workplace and be innovative; respect for others.
* Ability to work in a culturally diverse environment and a strong understanding of inclusive and equitable service delivery.
* Ability to work flexible hours including evenings, weekends and to work from any one of the agency’s sites.
* Valid Driver’s License with reliable transportation.
* Successful candidates must provide a satisfactory Criminal Background Check prior to commencing employment and ICARE Clearance will be required.
* It is a condition of employment that employees provide proof that they are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 prior to the start date of employment. Applicants who have appropriate written proof of a medical reason, or a reason pursuant to the Ontario Human Rights Code, for not being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 may provide such documentation to the Human Resources department. Such situations will be considered on a case-by-case basis in compliance with Indus' legal obligations.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their application, including a complete resume of qualifications and experience, electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org by 12:00pm, October 5th, 2022. Please ensure your application email has the subject heading of “Employment Counsellor” - (insert your name)’
This job posting is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other related duties to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
Indus Community Services is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to establishing a qualified workforce that is reflective of the diverse populations we serve. We are committed to accommodating people with disabilities as part of our hiring process. If you have special requirements, please advise Human Resources during the recruitment process. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals; however, only those under consideration will be contacted. No phone calls please.