At Achev, we believe that everyone deserves an equal opportunity to build a better life and a successful future. For more than 30 years, we have dedicated ourselves to helping diverse Canadians and newcomers achieve their full potential. Today, we are one of the largest providers of employment, newcomer, language, and youth services in the Greater Toronto Area. Our dedicated team of nearly 400 staff delivers a wide range of innovative, high-quality, and personalized programs and services that empower our clients to prosper and our communities to thrive.
We thrive in a OneAchev culture where collaboration and an integrated service delivery will positively impact Achev’s resiliency, agility, success, and growth.
Join us in helping diverse Canadians and newcomers achieve their full potential!
Achev’s latest Impact Report: www.Achev.caSUMMARY:
The Newcomer Information Centres (NICs) are information and referral centres funded by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada and operated by Achev. NICs provide settlement information and referral for the smooth transition of newcomers to life in Canada.
The Employment & Information Counsellor will effectively provide employment and settlement assistance to newcomers through online services and in-person services. The Employment & Information Counsellor will work closely with the Coordinator and external partners to provide the supports necessary for the successful delivery of the services of the Newcomer Information Centres. This position also includes additional duties that are outlined in the position responsibilities and duties below.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
• *Assess client needs and provide information, orientation & referral to appropriate programs/services within the community.
• *Assist clients in identifying their employment pathway meeting their individual needs, including the process for accreditation pathway to certification, alternative, transferable career choices, and employment opportunities.
• *Provide guidance in developing job search strategies including identifying and matching career interests, skills and aptitude, developing interview techniques, preparing a resume and cover letter in both one on one or online webinar formats.
• *Deliver group webinars on a variety of employment and settlement-related topics to prepare clients for working in Canada (in-person and by using webinar tools).
• *Develop marketing and outreach plans for the promotion of the online Newcomer Information Centre services through effective marketing programs and close liaison with community partners
• *Research and compile employment and accreditation related information for foreign-trained professionals and skilled tradespersons.
• *Work with webmaster to publish resources to the website.
• *Assist with writing and editing all resources for the Newcomer Information Centre – Online Employment and Settlement Services website niconline.ca, including the Virtual Resource Centre section and webinar content on labour marketing trends, client pathways, transferable career choices by industry, accreditation and evaluation pathways by occupation, webinar content on a variety of job search tools, networking and interview techniques.
• *Regularly update materials in accordance with employment requirements by occupation and identified settlement-related needs.
• *Practice effective leadership strategies to build a positive team environment.
*Contribute to team cohesiveness and team building.
• *Provide and support newcomer clients with employment in-person and online.
• *Maintain, update and analyze client statistics; submit reports as per program requirements on a monthly basis to NIC Coordinator
• *In accordance with Achev and government policies manage sensitive & confidential information of client and organization.
• *Perform other duties as required
*Relevant Post-Secondary Education in related fields or a minimum of two (2) years of work experience in a customer service capacity in the community social services sector.
*Current knowledge of legislation, policies, and practices affecting newcomers.
*Knowledge of settlement and employment-related services and agencies available in the community.
*Strong knowledge of job search strategies and experience in working with newcomers.
*Demonstrated facilitation experience – with experience facilitating to newcomers from different backgrounds, age groups, or CLB levels.
*Flexible, self-motivated, ability to multi-task and to meet the deadlines.
*Ability to work cooperatively as a member of a team.
*Excellent communication (verbal and written), interpersonal, and leadership skills
*Strong internet research skills.
*Good presentation, problem-solving, organizational, and project management skills.
*Demonstrated experience in dealing with multicultural and disability issues.
*Knowledge of online delivery tools including Zoom, MS Teams, and other tools.
*Knowledge of French or another language other than English is an asset.
*Certified Information & Referral Specialist (CIRS) certification is an asset.
We’re looking to welcome people to our diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace. We especially welcome applications from members of racialized groups, Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities, persons of diverse sexual orientations and gender identities and others with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities. We are committed to a selection process and work environment that is inclusive and barrier-free. So, if you’re excited about this role or another one, please apply on our website - www.achev.ca
Reason for Hiring:Temporary Replacement
Job Title and Program (Employee Info): Employment & Information Counsellor-Newcomer Information Centre
Position Will Report to (Manager Info):Coordinator, Newcomer Information Centre
Annual Salary/Hourly Rate:55,381.68
Job Start Date: 2024-01-02
Job End Date: 2025-06-13
35 hours/week, Monday - Friday 8:30 AM - 4:30 PM (some evenings & Saturdays as required) Hybrid position - working a minimum of 2 days in the office - Maternity Leave (18 months)
Job Posting Closing Date: 2023-11-24
Please apply at our website www.achev.ca / About / careers at Achev