Do you love to answer questions, solve problems and help people get the information they need? Are you a naturally diplomatic person with the skills to manage an online community and ensure it remains a safe and welcoming space for all, regardless of gender, age, politics or religion? Refugee 613 is looking for a new Digital Outreach Coordinator to run its Arabic-language WhatsApp group and assist with building additional online initiatives.
OCISO supports immigrants through the journey of making Canada their home by providing creative and responsive programs that are culturally and linguistically appropriate, by building community through mutual respect and partnerships, and by fostering healthy and inclusive spaces for open dialogue and healing.
About Refugee 613
Refugee 613 is a project housed at OCISO and created by a city-wide network of citizens, settlement agencies, sponsorship groups and community partners working to provide refugees with the building blocks of successful integration: a warm welcome and access to key services. As an independent, non-partisan, grassroots effort, Refugee 613 provides information, connection and inspiration to mobilize and sustain community support for refugees.
Refugee 613’s innovative Digital Outreach Project uses social messaging to enhance settlement and integration outcomes for refugees. This former pilot initiative is now a thriving online community for Arabic-speaking refugee newcomers, with more than 300 members who ask questions and receive referrals and daily bulletins about local services and opportunities. The Digital Outreach Coordinator will work with the Director to manage, monitor and evaluate this online community, and support the launch of new group(s)s, while also providing support to Refugee 613’s general operations.
Reports to: Director, Refugee 613
- Manage the Refugee 613 Arabic-language WhatsApp community/communities to continue providing information and referrals to newcomers
- Work with partners to ensure information shared is accurate and useful to group members, in particular with the key project partner, the Newcomer Information Centre at the YMCA/YWCA of the National Capital Region
- Monitor discussions to ensure the group remains a safe, inclusive space for everyone, regardless of gender, politics and religion
- Develop framework for continual monitoring of WhatsApp group(s) and reporting on data, developments and insights
- Lead evaluation of Refugee 613 WhatsApp Group and other digital projects
- Disseminate evaluation learning and support communications with funder(s)
- Assist colleagues as needed with Refugee 613 project and communications needs, including strategic planning, content production, web site maintenance, production of newsletters, answering public inquiries and supporting Refugee 613 events
- Represent Refugee 613 to the highest standards with the public, partners and stakeholders
- Demonstrate a commitment to OCISO’s culture of respect approach
- Post-secondary qualifications, preferably in communications, public relations or other social sciences, or equivalent work experience
- Excellent verbal and written knowledge of English and Arabic (please note: Arabic skills are mandatory and will be tested during the interview process)
- Experience writing and managing content for online platforms
- Proven ability to manage diverse groups with diplomacy, professionalism and compassion
- Demonstrated ability to write clear, engaging digital content
- Strong mastery of digital communications tools (content management software, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, WhatsApp, Hootsuite and other platforms)
- Able to work flexible hours on a regular basis, often including evenings and weekends
- Knowledge of settlement practices, specifically refugee integration
- Experience as an online community manager
- Ability to develop communications strategies and plans
- Strong interpersonal, organizational and time-management skills
- Ability to work with a small, mission-driven team in a sensitive, respectful manner
- Experience in working with people from diverse cultural backgrounds and people with vulnerabilities
- Strong work ethic and ability to multi-task and work independently
Please note: The Digital Outreach Coordinator is expected to work from the Refugee 613 office in Ottawa most of the time, with limited flexibility to work a few hours remotely each week.
Term: Full Time - 5 days/week, April 2018 – October 2018 (Subject to Funding Extension)
How to apply:
Please send a cover letter and a resume by 5:00 p.m on March 28, 2018 to:
Halimah Shaw, H.R. Administrator:
OCISO encourage applications from qualified people of all backgrounds, including women, members of visible minorities, Aboriginal peoples, and persons with disabilities.
OCISO is committed to accessibility in employment and to ensuring equal access to employment opportunities for candidates, including persons with disabilities. In compliance with AODA, OCISO will endeavor to provide accommodation to persons with disabilities in the recruitment process upon request. If you are selected for an interview and you require accommodation due to a disability during the recruitment process, please notify the HR Administrator upon scheduling your interview.
Thank you in advance for your interest. Only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.