Are you a university or college student with strong experience writing and managing outstanding content for social media? Are you passionate about using communications skills to make a difference for immigrants in Ottawa? Refugee 613 needs you this summer!
OCISO supports immigrants through the journey of making Canada their home by providing creative and responsive programs that are culturally and linguistically appropriate, by building community through mutual respect and partnerships, and by fostering healthy and inclusive spaces for open dialogue and healing.
About Refugee 613:
Refugee 613 is an agile and innovative communications hub that informs, connects and inspires people to welcome refugees and build strong communities. Created by a network of volunteers, settlement agencies, sponsorship groups and community partners, we are an independent, non-partisan, grassroots project hosted by OCISO.
The Communications Assistant position is funded by the Ontario Summer Experience Program, to support Refugee 613’s communications activities, particularly social media and newsletters. The goal of all duties is to help ensure Ottawa residents stay informed about refugee settlement and integration in the context of COVID-19, regardless of immigration status or language barriers.
Reports to: Communications Specialist, Refugee 613
- Support the execution of Refugee 613’s communications activities
- Develop content for social media and newsletters to inform community partners, private refugee sponsors and the general public
- Coordinate content calendar for social media and other channels
- Produce graphics and communications products as needed
- Administrative tasks as required, including some meeting coordination and bookkeeping
- Demonstrate a commitment to OCISO’s culture of respect approach
- Aged 15 to 24 years old
- Enrolled in a post-secondary institution, or within six months of graduation
- Studying communications, journalism, public relations or related fields
- Resident of Ontario during the period of employment
- Demonstrated ability to write clear, engaging communications with excellent grammar and style
- Highly motivated, creative and organized
- Strong interpersonal, organizational and time-management skills
- Excellent verbal and written knowledge of English required; proficiency in French or Arabic considered an asset
- Ability to work with a small, mission-driven team in a sensitive, respectful manner
- Experience in working with people from diverse cultural backgrounds
- Strong work ethic and ability to multi-task and work independently
- Proficiency with the full MS Office Suite, Mail Chimp, WordPress, Twitter, Facebook and Instagram, with experience using design software (Adobe, Photoshop, Canva, etc) considered an asset
Term: Summer 2020, July – August (7 weeks, Full Time - 35hrs/week)
How to Apply:
Note: Applications that do not follow these instructions will not be considered
Please send the following documents to Halimah Shaw, H.R. Administrator: email@example.com by July 16, 2020 at 5:00 p.m.
- A cover letter, with the following file name: NAME_CommsAsst_CoverLetter
- A resume with the following file name: NAME_ CommsAsst_Resume
- A sample of your writing. It can be a blog post, a short essay, or a social media campaign you have worked on
- In your cover letter, please summarize in 250 words or less how you meet the Essential Qualifications, listed above. Do not summarize your work history in your cover letter
OCISO encourage applications from qualified people of all backgrounds, including women, members of visible minorities, Aboriginal peoples, and persons with disabilities
OCISO is committed to accessibility in employment and to ensuring equal access to employment opportunities for candidates, including persons with disabilities. In compliance with AODA, OCISO will endeavor to provide accommodation to persons with disabilities in the recruitment process upon request. If you are selected for an interview and you require accommodation due to a disability during the recruitment process, please notify the HR Administrator upon scheduling your interview.