INTERNAL / EXTERNAL OCISO JOB POSTING
Position: Clinical Counsellor
Start Date: 35 hours per week – April, 2021 - Indefinite
Reports to: Counselling Program Manager
OCISO supports newcomers through the journey of making Canada their home by providing creative and responsive programs that are culturally and linguistically appropriate, by building community through mutual respect and partnerships, and by fostering healthy and inclusive spaces for open dialogue and healing.
The Clinical Counsellor is primarily responsible for the provision of mental health supports in response to pre and post migration stressors among immigrant and refugee populations. Working closely with referral sources, they provide crisis intervention counselling, short-term support, and referrals to children, youth and adults. Their services are offered at OCISO locations and throughout the community. They are also responsible for all related administrative duties.
Within the framework of the Counselling Program, the successful candidate will:
• Provide theoretically informed and culturally responsive counselling interventions for clients presenting with a wide variety of issues arising from pre and post migration experiences.
• Assist in program planning and evaluation
• Participate in case conferences with various professionals in the mental health community.
• Make appropriate referrals to other community resources.
• Provide accountability through oral and written reports of client progress.
• Participate in clinical training activities, including intervention skills practice and demonstration.
• Provide training community partners on newcomer mental health issues.
• The ability to work some evening hours is required.
• Master’s Degree (preferred) in a social science field such as Counselling, Social Work, Psychology, or Social Psychology, or a combination of a related Bachelor’s degree and relevant experience.
• Minimum of three year’s relevant related experience working with immigrant and refugee populations.
• Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a multi-disciplinary and multicultural team environment.
• Knowledgeable of alternative non-western models of healing that will enhance culturally relevant counselling services.
• Demonstrated ability to incorporate the client’s cultural preferences and culturally appropriate healing practices into the counselling process.
• Demonstrated ability to use video, phone as well as in person interventions.
• Strong understanding of pre and post migration issues and their impact on the therapeutic alliance and on the counselling process.
• Demonstrated ability to provide intervention in individual, family, and group settings.
• Demonstrated ability to participate in professional case conferences and provide appropriate clinical reports.
• Demonstrated ability to provide service statistics.
• Demonstrated ability to provide clinical intervention in English and either Arabic, Spanish, or Somali is essential. Other languages desirable.
• Knowledge and experience with mainstream computer applications and database software
Salary & Benefits: $53,600 - $56,400 annually. Comprehensive benefits plan including health, dental, RRSP plan, and generous leave entitlement.
Application Deadline: April 15, 2021 by 5:00 p.m.
How to Apply
We encourage applications from qualified people of all backgrounds, including women, members of visible minorities, Aboriginal peoples, and persons with disabilities.
OCISO is committed to accessibility in employment and to ensuring equal access to employment opportunities for candidates, including persons with disabilities. In compliance with AODA, OCISO will endeavor to provide accommodation to persons with disabilities in the recruitment process upon request. If you are selected for an interview and you require accommodation due to a disability during the recruitment process, please notify the HR Administrator upon scheduling your interview.
Please send a cover letter and a resume to Halimah Shaw, H.R. Administrator: firstname.lastname@example.org.