The Ottawa Community Immigrant Services Organizatio - OCISO supports immigrants through the journey of making Canada their home by providing creative and responsive programs that are culturally and linguistically appropriate, by building community through mutual respect and partnerships, and by fostering healthy and inclusive spaces for open dialogue and healing.
Join a linguistically diverse team of Clinical Counsellors who have passion and expertise in delivering culturally appropriate counselling services to newcomers to Ottawa.
The Clinical Counsellors are primarily responsible for the provision of counselling services to immigrants and refugees presenting with a wide variety of issues arising from pre and post migration experiences. Counselling may be delivered in individual, couples, family, and group counselling formats. The Counsellor is also responsible for all related administrative duties, consultation and liaison with the referring agency and accessing other resources to best assist the client.
Reports to: Counselling Program Manager
Within the framework of the Counselling Program, the successful candidate will:
- Provide theoretically informed and culturally responsive counselling interventions, for clients presenting with a wide variety of issues arising from pre and post migration experiences
- Provide crisis counselling intervention in emergency situations
- Participate in case conferences with various professionals in the mental health community
- Make appropriate referrals to other community resources
- Provide accountability through oral and written reports of client progress
- Master Degree in a social science field such as Counselling, Social Work, Psychology, or Social Psychology, or a combination of a related Bachelor’s degree and relevant experience
- Minimum of three year’s relevant related experience
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a multi-disciplinary and multicultural team environment
- Demonstrated ability to work from a clear foundation in the theoretical orientation of the client’s choice as appropriate
- Knowledgeable in alternative non-western models of healing that will enhance and expand our culturally relevant counselling services
- Demonstrated ability to incorporate the client’s cultural preferences and culturally appropriate healing practices into the counselling process
- Strong knowledge and understanding of pre and post migration issues and their impact on the therapeutic alliance and on the counselling process
- Demonstrated ability to provide intervention in individual, couple, family, and group settings in house and in schools
- Demonstrated ability to effectively and clearly report on the client’s therapeutic process in clinical files
- Demonstrated ability to participate in professional case conferences and provide appropriate clinical reports
- Demonstrated ability to provide service statistics
- Demonstrated ability to provide clinical intervention in Arabic, Spanish, Somali, Swahili, or Nepali
- Knowledge of other languages considered an asset
Term: 28 hours per week ongoing as well as case-based contract opportunities
How to apply:
Please send a cover letter and a resume on March 21, 2018 by 5:00 p.m. to
Halimah Shaw, H.R Administrator
Ottawa Community Immigrant Services Organization - OCISO encourage applications from qualified people of all backgrounds, including women, members of visible minorities, Aboriginal peoples, and persons with disabilities.
OCISO is committed to accessibility in employment and to ensuring equal access to employment opportunities for candidates, including persons with disabilities. In compliance with AODA, OCISO will endeavor to provide accommodation to persons with disabilities in the recruitment process upon request. If you are selected for an interview and you require accommodation due to a disability during the recruitment process, please notify the HR Administrator upon scheduling your interview.
Thank you to all applicants for their interest but only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.