Program Overview – Homeward Bound
The Homeward Bound program is an employment program for single mother-led families transitioning from shelter-life to self-sustainable community living. The program includes skill development, college, internships and support for sustainable employment. Homeward Bound also offers affordable housing, on-site daycare, parenting program, an after-4 program for school aged children, and full day programming for school aged children during March break, summer break, and PA days.
- Assists with planning and delivering after school activities which facilitate educational and life skills development
- Capacity to provide spontaneous age appropriate activities for children in the program
- Escorts children daily from various schools to our location (via walking)
- Helps prepare and cook healthy snacks
- Assists in overseeing the safety of the children for both off site trips and in the onsite space (March break, PA Days, Summer break)
- Works in accordance with all relevant legislation, by-laws, program and organizational policies.
- Post-secondary education in child and youth work, social services, education or child development preferred
- Minimum one (1) year of experience working with children within the targeted age group.
What Will Set You Apart
- Available to work some days from 3:00pm-7:00pm during the school year
- Available to work some full days during March break, PA days, and during summer holidays
- Knowledge of child development and learning needs of children 6 – 12 years
- Ability to work with children and parents who have experienced violence or homelessness, and some understanding of this population’s unique issues
- Understanding of community development and child centered approaches
- Ability to work well in a team environment
- Experience working with children with emotional or social challenges
- Excellent communication and problem solving skills
- Flexible and able to work in a fast-paced environment
- Proven capacity to work one-on-one with children and relate to them in a non-judgmental and respectful way
- First Aid Certification is an asset.
*Casual position with fluctuating hours
How to apply:
To aplly click here by 11:59 p.m. on September 27, 2020.