OCASI - Ontario Council of Agencies Serving Immigrants is pleased to announce our online facilitated course on Serving LGBTQIA+ Newcomers.
The Positive Spaces Initiative is pleased to announce a FREE on-line facilitated course to help frontline practitioners working with immigrant and refugee communities who identify as LGBTQIA+(lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, intersex, and asexual) to better understand the various barriers and challenges they face when accessing settlement services.
LGBTQIA+ newcomers and refugees are an integral though often invisible, part of immigrant, refugee and LGBTQIA+ communities. Experiencing marginalization from within cultural communities and mainstream LGBTQIA+ communities often leaves individuals feeling that there are few options for obtaining services. This course will allow settlement sector employees to acquire new skills and knowledge in areas related to equitable service provision to LGBTQIA* immigrants and refugees.
OCASI is committed to supporting the settlement sector create welcoming, positive and inclusive spaces for all.
Upon completion of the Training you will be able to:
- Apply the principles of an anti-racism/anti-oppression framework to support immigrants, refugees, and newcomers living in Ontario
- Demonstrate an understanding of the various barriers and issues surrounding LGBTQIA+ individuals in their access to services
- Situate yourself in the context of systemic oppressions faced by LGBTQIA+ newcomers in order to better serve as an ally to LGBTQIA+ newcomers living in Ontario
- Demonstrate an understanding of your responsibilities as a service provider in the settlement sector by implementing best practices to create and maintain a positive space for LGBTQIA+ newcomers in your agency
- Joselynn Crosby, Coordinator of OCASI's Positive Spaces Initiative
Although prior e-learning experience is not required, it will be an asset. You will need access to a computer for this training as well as 2-3 hours per week to complete the tasks over the five-week period. You will be required to complete the following:
- Each of the four modules at any time within its scheduled week
- All activities, including quizzes and assignments
- Participation in the online forums
- Pre and post surveys
At every module end, you will receive a badge of completion based on the knowledge you would have learned in that module. Upon completion of the entire e-course, you will receive a certification of completion from OCASI.
You will receive instructions on how to access the course materials at least two days before the course begins.
There is no “live” component to the training and you are expected to review and complete each week’s course materials at your own pace during the designated week. While you can access each module at your convenience during each week for the course, they will be available as follows:
Facilitated PSI-101-F (rough estimate of time required, may vary for you):
- Module 1: February 3 –10, 2020
- Module 2: February 11 – 17, 2020
- Module 3: February 18 - 24, 2020
- Module 4: February 25 – March 6, 2020
Please note: Course registration closes on January 29, and spaces are limited.
For more information on the course, contact Joselynn Crosby at firstname.lastname@example.org